If You Are A Creative Baker, I Need Help...

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 16 May 2009 , 2:31pm by sugarMomma

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 8

Years ago I found a recipe for what looked like a really yummy mango buttercream. It called for mango puree, which I could never find. Now that I have found it, I cannot find the recipe.

So, I need recipes ideas for buttercream or cake to use the puree. I was thinking of adding it to a modified box pineapple, banana or coconut cake, but not sure what proportions or how to adjust my recipe. (I usually add an extra egg and box of pudding, along with 1 1/4 c. water and 1/2 c. oil.)

Scratch recipes welcome, however.

Or a mango filling would be nice, but alas, how to make?
I wish there was a pastry course I could take around here without having to enroll in culinary school..

Thank you for your help or ideas!!

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 8

Here's a recipe for mango filling: http://ktstevens.wordpress.com/2009/01/26/six-layer-coconut-cake-with-mango-filling/

I haven't tried it but it sounds good. It would have to go in the fridge though, I think.

sugarMomma Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 8

That whole cake looks delicious!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 8

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=mango+puree+cake&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

I just Googled *mango puree cake* and found those on the link above.

Hope that is some help.
Bluehue icon_smile.gif

sugarMomma Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 8

That looks good too. I bet I could mix mango puree with bettercreme for the icing too.

Anyone know how much puree I could add to box mix, and what I would sub it for (some of oil perhaps?)

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 8

I am making a strawberry cake this weekend and adding puree to the mix. The recipe is on this site for Strawberry Cake box mix without the fake flavor (something like that).

1 box of white cake mix
1 box of vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/3 whole milk
2/3 cup oil
1 cup pureed strawberries
1 tsp vanilla.

I am sure you could substitue the mango for strawberries. For icing it is 1/2 cup butter, 1 pound confectioners' sugar and 1/4 cup pureed strawberries.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 15 May 2009 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 8

I would just throw it in with some buttercream but if the puree is sweetened maybe hold back a bit on the sugar in the BC.

Your post did trigger some distant memory of Bobby Flay making cupcakes with mango buttercream on one of his challenges. Here is the link, it calls for whole mangoes but I am sure you can adapt to use puree if you want.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/gingerbread-cupcakes-with-caramelized-mango-buttercream-recipe/index.html

sugarMomma Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks to everyone for their replies, and cricket 0616 I am definitely going to try that, it's exactly what I was looking for. Hmmm..... maybe a strawberry/mango cake....I know they pair well together in daquiries!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%