Fondant, Gumpaste, Marzipan...oh My!

Decorating By madhattercakes Updated 15 May 2009 , 5:46pm by Lee15

madhattercakes Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 4

I have a question for you guys that I hope you can answer. I have noticed that people use a variety of mediums for making figures on a cake but I was wondering which was best? Fondant? Gumpaste? 50/50? Marzipan? I know gumpaste is pretty good for flowers but I need to make a farm cake with farm animals and I have tried just fondant it wasn't bad but I wonder if anyone had better results with something else?

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 4

Marzipan has more texture than fondant, so it's easier to model with, at least for me. I like to cover it with fondant to get the super smooth look. It's expensive though and not everyone likes the taste of it.

Mostly I just use fondant. I've made gumpaste before, but I used gum-tex and the smell was so unappealing that I found it hard to work with. I just bought some tylose and it doesn't stink, so I'm going to try making gumpaste with it soon.

bashini Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 4

HI, I never use Marzipan or fondant. Most of the time I add 1/2 teaspoon of CMC/ Tylose powder to 250g of fondant. Gumpaste is really good for flowers like you said. So you can use 50/50 mix. icon_smile.gif

Lee15 Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 4

I use fondant with Tylose. There are occasions when I used (and will probably do so again) a modelling paste. The brand I used was Ballina but it smells very tutti-frutti. However, if you let the animals sit for a few days, you can only smell it if you put them up close to your nose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%