Bride Wants Hydrangeas On Cake

Business By EatSomeCake Updated 19 May 2009 , 12:09pm by EatSomeCake

EatSomeCake Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 9

I have a bride coming on Monday for a tasting. The colors of her wedding are brown and light blue, she said she's using hydrangeas a lot. I'm not sure yet until I talk with her more if she wants real hydrangeas, gumpaste or silk. I just looked at Inydebi's link on her web page to the CC page that lists what flowers are edible, hydrangeas are not on the list of edible. Plus I don't feel comfortable putting fresh flowers because of the toxic fertilizers used to grow them and the toxic pesticides used to keep the bugs away. I have never actually done fresh flowers on a cake but I know it is common in this country. I have heard in some European countries it is illegal to put and sell fresh flowers on a cake because of the toxicity issue and that's what caused the invention of realistic gum paste sugar flowers for this very reason? Do you think I am overreacting and if she chooses fresh hydrangeas, will it be ok?...I hope the guests wouldn't just assume they were edible and eat them...now I'm getting more nervous. Any thoughts?

8 replies
jo_ann Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 9

I have some poisonous plants lists and hydrangeas are definitely toxic.

Here are a few of the sites I use.

www.akca.org/library/poison.htm

www.geocities.com/qccakeclub/the_basics/toxic_flowers.html

I have more if your interested but they pretty much say the same thing.

HTH
Jo-Ann

patticakesnc Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 9

I would just explain to her that fresh isn't an option with these flowers.

costumeczar Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 9

Also point out to her that hydrangeas need a LOT of water, so it isn't a good idea to put them on a cake even if they weren't toxic. They wilt so quickly they'll look bad really fast.

EatSomeCake Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you to all three of you who replied...great tips and I printed out the toxic plant list. Thanks Jo-Ann! I feel better now.

weirkd Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 9

I agree with above. I also think you should use gumpaste. Their realistic and she can keep them afterwards where as a fresh flower would be dead in a week! Its also a good selling point that hydrangeas cost a bunch and then die and yours will be a one time cost, usually for a lot less than fresh!

crazycaker Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 9

I have a cake coming up for a bride who wanted fresh hydrangeas -- and was not interested in sugarpaste flowers.

We are putting the stems in small sealed tubes with water, and arranging them around the base of the cake. There is no contact with the cake, and the flowers will have some water.

However -- I agree -- they are a dicey flower to work with (though I love them, too).

littlecake Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:45am
post #8 of 9

they have hydrangeas at wholesalesugarflowers.com

EatSomeCake Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:09pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks! I'm going to check that out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%