Please Help I Am Crying My Eyes Out

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 18 May 2009 , 8:53am by judcreations

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 60

I need some guidance.
I was asked by a lady in our small town to make a graduation cake for her daughter. She only needed a sheet cake and was on a tight budget. The only direction I could get from her and the girl was Pink Pink Pink, roses and girly. I wrestled with this for a long time because I could not find a way to make a sheet cake really pretty and girly. I made flowers for 3 days, ordered fondant online so I knew it would taste yummy, made a scratch cake and stayed up till 12:30 last night working on it. This morning I got up, made more flowers and finished what I thought was a very pretty cake. I emailed her a photo as I allways do and she just called me saying that she and her daughter HATE it (with a nervouse giggle in her voice). She says her daughter HATES daisies and that they are all over the cake. I made daises but there are NONE on this cake. I explained that the more roses I added the more it looked like an old lady cake but that if that was what she wanted I would take the white flowers off and put more pink roses on it. She stated that it is to late and to leave it. I told her I was not letting a cake leave my home that the client HATED. I have taken the blossoms off. The fondant is tacky where they were attached, it has condensation on it from being in the fridge overnight (which is how I got the pearls to stick to it) I just do not know what to do now. It is really hard for me to walk away and not touch it. I am so upset I cannot stand it. I have never had a complaint on a cake of mine and in this small town this woman could ruin my business. I did this cake for $50.00! Please be honest and give me some direction on what you would do to it.

59 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 60

Can you post a picture of it?

It sounds like a lovely cake, and a very vague order that the customer gave you. Since you're in a small town, I bet other people there have dealt with this woman in the past and aren't going to steer clear of your cakes just because she complains about it.

Also it doesn't sound like you charged enough for it.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 60

sorry picture did not post./
LL

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 60

I know i did not charge enough. She has been having some major medical issues and I just wanted her daughter to have a nice cake and not one from the local bakery. I have now posted the picture. I did not realize it had not attached.

all4cake Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 60

You did way more than I would've done for 50 bucks! Is that what she wanted written on the cake? She didn't want a grad cap? It's a beautiful cake without a doubt. If that's what she ordered, that's what she ordered...you can't help she doesn't like her own taste, right?

chefjess819 Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 60

maybe try adding some scrolling over the tacky fondant with a slightly darker pink using buttercream. that might be able to cover it up without looking like a cover up. the lady sounds like if she complained enough about the cake, you might offer it to her for free. sad to say some people are like that. i think it is a beautiful cake!

Stephi1 Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 60

All she said was pink and girly and that's what you did. It's beautiful. Tell her she will have to go to the grocery store. Make a pot of coffee and enjoy a piece of that wonderful cake. Some people are just ridiculous!

Ruth0209 Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 60

Shoot, I think that cake is so cute. What is Bri-Z? Is that her name? I don't know what you could do to change it. I don't think it looks "old lady" at all. I'm so sorry!!

If she said to just leave it as it is, I think I would and tell her since she didn't give you any more guidance than "pink" this is what you envisioned for her. You'll have to decide if you want to give her a discount. BUT I WOULD NOT GIVE HER MUCH OF A DISCOUNT, IF ANY for the following reasons.

1. She didn't give you any guidance.
2. You're already giving it to her cheap.
3. They're still going to eat and enjoy a scratch cake.
4. If she goes to the grocery store for one, she won't get a cake that's nearly as beautiful or personalized as this one.

Maybe next time she'll spend more time thinking about what she wants.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 60

She did not want it to look like a grad cake. Bri-Z is what they call the daughter so yep that is what she wanted written on it. I was trying to make some part of the cake fun and not so darn frumpy. I appreciate your comments. Any ideas on what I can do with it from here?

misserica Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 60

I think she got exactly what she asked for as you stated "pink, pink, pink, roses and girly"...did they say exactly what they "hated" about it?

I think the cake is cute and as all4cake said, thats way more than I would have done for $50...and to say "hated" it, yikes.

Bluehue Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:58pm
post #11 of 60

icon_sad.gif - Aweeee you poor thing - don't cry.

Good grief, what did the women want for $50.00? icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif
I see PINK PINK PINK as the customer requested and i see ROSES -
Have you got a cutter of any other shape flower besies daisies?
If so just roll out some more fondant and stick them on - preferrably PINK or do you have any silver cachous?
Dot them around the cake.

What a cow saying she HATES IT - sorry for the harsh word - but gee, with what she said - it wasn't alot to go on for you.

Some people have no idea or common sense when it comes to describing a cake -
What they say and what we picture can be two different things.
So please - don't let her vague description hurt you - and if her daughter HATES daisies then perhaps she shoud of said that.

You have done a pretty cake - and your roses look so lovely - well done.

Oh and her medical issues are no excuse for poor manners over the phone to you - please don't fall for that.

your link worked fine. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

mareg Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #12 of 60

That cake is cute, girly and I love it. I don't think it looks old lady. I understand your fustration! What were you supposed to do with what she gave you? OMG! Hang in there. I think the cake looks great!

all4cake Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #13 of 60

Leaves? string of pearls?

I would NOT give her any discount!

She either pays you the 50 bucks(whining or not) or she can truck on down to the next baker! Pleeeeeeeeeeease, don't knock anything of the price!

terrylee Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #14 of 60

Your cake is Pink, rosy and very girly......just what she asked for.......you did a great job. You put a lot of time, effort and thought into your cake....I'm sorry that happened. It is hard to please everyone and there is some people out there that you will never please. I don't think she will ruin your business....you have plenty of satisfied customers.

Have you thought about drawing a sketch of the cake before so the customer can get an idea and say yeh or ney then. It helps me....that way I have an idea which way I'm going and the customer is happy.

Keep your chin up.......I think we all have had a customer from H......! Infact - I did my first fondant cake...it was in my mind a total disaster - the flowers never came from their florist and the patch work was crooked. I gave them the cake and you know I got three referrals from them......go figure....

-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:01pm
post #15 of 60

I would get real quiet and continue with the transaction --get the money and run. I would avoid any further drama.

If there was any further stuff coming from this woman, I would sincerely say, "Oh dear, I misquoted the price, it's really a $75 cake, but I will let it go for $50."

More drama after that? I'd conveniently drop the cake, I mean upside down, with her present if possible. But like on the corner so it really squashes. On gravel or steamy dog poo if possible. Honestly I would.

Wtf about daisies? Or not daisies. That is so much bs.

Listen, you take your business--it's not hers, it's yours! She cannot ruin your show. There is no such thing as bad publicity. (unless someone gets busted for making ex-lax icing--true story too)

Just get your story out on the air waves if it comes to that. She's being stupid and picky but say it in a professional way something like, she's being stupid and picky.

And never ever ever send the picture in advance because you set yourself up for this.

But I'm behind you all the way.

Texas_Rose Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:03pm
post #16 of 60

Your cake is really pretty. Those don't look like daisies to me either. If they were still on the cake I'd suggest you paint them hot pink so they didn't have the white and yellow that were making her think daisies...how could someone hate daisies anyhow icon_biggrin.gif

The customer sounds like a you-know-what...but sometimes medical issues can make someone act like that. I had a boss before who was fairly decent, then he started screaming at all of us all the time, and even at the customers. I quit because I won't be spoken to that way, and then later found out he had cancer.

Anyhow, if you're trying to cover up little marks where the white flowers were, how about some leaves, if you still have some fondant left, and then you can add a rose or two on the other corners, since you said you've got some more roses. And next time she wants to order a cake from you, tell her you're too busy.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #17 of 60

If her daughter felt that strongly about daisies, then the mother should take this as a lesson learned. If her daughter says girly, order girly BUT NO DAISIES! I get smart people like that all the time, they don't know what they want on the cake but they do know what they do not want on the cake. Perhaps you could take this as a lesson learned too so the next time a customer is vague about what to put on the cake, ask them what they do not want on the cake. Therefore you'll have your bases covered.

-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #18 of 60

One other thing--never bad mouth your work. Never.

What'sa matter with old ladies anyhow??? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

KASCARLETT Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #19 of 60

I think it is very pretty and very girly. Those white flowers did look like daisies, sorry. But how would you have known if she didn't tell you any more than pink, pink, pink and girly? I think daisies are girly! lol You are a cake decorator, not a mind reader. I wouldn't worry about it. Just tell her you are sorry that you didn't have much of a direction on how to go with the decoration. You do not need to put any more work into this cake (IMO). I think it is beautiful like it is and if she doesn't want it, you and your friends and/or family can enjoy it! lol

keystone Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:07pm
post #20 of 60

I am sorry that she has upset you. Seems to me that you made what she asked for. I guess you could do some squiggles over the spots where you removed flowers... maybe a small 2009 or 09 or something also. I'm sure that other people know how she is... especially in a small town. Keep your chin up. You made a pretty cake and followed her guidelines.

Linda

-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:09pm
post #21 of 60

Another idea for a quick fix--roll out a long skinny sausage of fondant and cut lengths of it and just roll up scrolls to place over the daisie holes.

Like a "C" with a long tail that curves inward--kwim??
Just similar in size to the missing flower.
Would be easy.

It's ok to cry to release your frustration. But you don't need to cry because you got a bad report--get mad!!! She's trying to eff you. I don't mean for you to respond in anger but channel that grief into something more healthy like self preservation and some healthy anger.

Stand up for yourself--no one else can do it for you.

cms2 Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:11pm
post #22 of 60

Geez...the nerve of some people. I have a feeling it's more of a matter of trying to get a discount out of you than an actual dislike of the cake. If having daisies were an absolute no-no then she should have told you her daughter hates them. You are a cake decorater, not a mind reader!

Is the Bri-Z red or dark pink? I suggest pink flowers and use the color of the name for the centers. I personlly think the roses look like they need leaves. But other than that, it is a nice cake!

Do not let this woman make you feel bad about this cake that you clearly worked so hard on. Whatever you do, do not give her a discount. Either she pays full price or she doesn't get a cake. Period!

Let us know how you make out. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Anira72 Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:11pm
post #23 of 60

Your cake is adorable! That women is just trying to get a freebie or a discount. DON'T GIVE IT TO HER.
Don't cry. You did as she asked, and since she didn't specify anything else other than pink and girly then she needs to just pay up and decide better next time.

Hope your day is a brighter one somehow!

raquel1 Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #24 of 60

What an absolutely beautiful cake! She obviously doesn't realize the great price she got on this cake, maybe someone needs to kindly tell her. I wouldn't change a thing and their rudeness can't make other people blind to how beautiful and loving that cake is. Just my humble opinion and I pray you get some peace about this.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:15pm
post #25 of 60

Thanks everyone for your support. K8memphis, I never expected that from you! lol (the dropping it in pooh and all). So my question is since the cake is covered in pearl luster dust, how can I go over those areas that had the NON-daisies and not have a clumpy area? KWIM? I can add more pearls to the bare area and stick some more roses on it. I will add leaves then I think I will have to have my husband deliver it as I am way to angry to see the little princess and not yank her pretty blonde curls out of her head icon_twisted.gif MAybe I will go down and add the 15 purple DAISIES that I had made and not used. Thanks again. I will post the redone version. Anyone need some cute little white blossoms?

nancyg Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:19pm
post #26 of 60

That cake is beautiful. Don't let one customer pull you down. As you said maybe there is more to her mood......What if you put or paint with color, the centers of the daisies brown, you would have a beautiful pink and brown theme going on. If not please tell her as you already did that you would never let a cake go out tht a cutomer was not happy with.

However, she did not tell you not to use daisies....

Hang in there
nancy g

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:22pm
post #27 of 60

I would tell her to go to hell icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif
The cake is pink and girly!
thumbs_up.gif I like it

crazyteach Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:24pm
post #28 of 60

I have to agree with many of the others on here--- I think she just wants more money off! Don't give it to her. If you feel like you need to fix it--then I would, but she did ask for exactly what you gave her. Good Job!

Kimmers971 Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:29pm
post #29 of 60

I think it's beautiful! What is their gripe icon_eek.gif

Keep your chin up, can't please everyone all the time no matter how hard you try thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:33pm
post #30 of 60

Awwwe... you have no reason to be upset about your cake. It's adorable. A big no-no though is sending them a picture before you deliver... you open yourself up to this sort of a sh*t storm. You made a very nice pink pink pink girly cake with roses... it's her issue that she wasn't more specific. Also... your picture I'm sure doesn't do it complete justice since it's flashy and the flash can highlight any and all bumps. I'm sure it looked even cuter in person.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%