A Cautionary Tale About Complaints

Business By costumeczar Updated 18 May 2009 , 2:45pm by cas17

costumeczar Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 8

I got a complaint from a bride yesterday, a week and a half after the wedding. She said that she liked the groom's cake, and that the top two tiers of the cake were really good, but that the bottom tier wasn't good. She claimed that people didn't eat it and there was a lot left over. She didn't ask for a refund, but I'm waiting for that...

So anyway, I knew the cake was fine because I taste the tops when I level them, and this particular cake had been torted, had a soaking syrup, and layers of preserves and truffle fillings. The interesting thing to me was that she had ordered way too much cake because she wanted a specific tier arrangement, and I had told her that she'd have too much. On top of that, she also had the groom's cake, so she had between 130-140 servings of cake total for 100 guests.

I emailed the reception site and asked them if anything strange had happened, and they said that everything had been fine, but that they had a lot left over because she had way too much cake.

I emailed her back and told her that I was sorry the cake wasn't what she expected, but that I had tried it while assembling it and there was nothing wrong with it. I didn't mention that I had emailed the reception site, or the serving count issue, but I have that information in case I need it if she decides to push it.

So my advice is to not get upset over a complaint until you do your due diligence investigation. I've seen lots of posts on here with peope who are really upset because the bride complained about something, but when they post pictures the cakes are beautiful. Just make sure that you get all of the information you can before responding to a client, chances are something more is going on. In this case the bride ordered way too much cake, a lot of it got thrown out, and she probably thought that it was because the cake wasn't good. Maybe she's trying to get a refund, maybe not, but the problem with the cake wasn't the cake, it was the amount that she ordered.

7 replies
cylstrial Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 8

I'm glad that you're doing well after her complaint and that you are being a super sleuth! It's good to be prepared. Do you have the original paperwork that shows the number of slices that she requested? That could help out, if she gets out of hand.

sweetjan Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the info. Yes, do you have the original contract?

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 8

I would most definately quote that part about you informing her that she had ordered too much cake. Knowing me, I probably would have mentioned that right away! You could possibly include the email from the receiption site that backed you up.

solascakes Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 8

Haa that's a smart move you checking in with the reception place to confirm,so at least you know it's not you.

cakedesigner59 Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 8

Great advice, as always! Thanks....I hope she doesn't give you any more grief.

costumeczar Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:31am
post #7 of 8

She hasn't written back. I do have the contract, so that's how I knew about having too many servings. I don't think she'll complain further, but I'm ready in case she does! icon_twisted.gif

cas17 Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 8

thank you so much for this advice. i hope all turns out ok for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%