Stacking Cake Issues

Decorating By Jan14grands Updated 15 May 2009 , 10:07pm by Jan14grands

Jan14grands Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 4

Well, I am able to stack a two layer cake sort of ok. I get it done, but with great difficulty icon_rolleyes.gif I mean the technique of actually picking it up from where it was iced, and placing it on top of the bottom layer. I use smoothed buttercream, haven't covered a cake in fondant yet. I can't seem to get it truly centered and the bottom ends up quite messy and hard for me to fix, etc. Any help or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks so much - love this CC site. I'm addicted! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
sadsmile Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 4

A sturdy cake lifting spatula and you have to watch tonedna1's video...

Shelly4481 Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 4

When I stack mine, I put the cakes in the fridge for a hour or so to harden up the frosting for stacking. I use a big spatula to set it on the bottom cake. If I had smudge or anything I put a little icing on it and smooth it out with a viva paper towel. I have a little ruler (used for sewing) that I use to measure all around to make sure it is even on all sides. Then do the trim. But it is easy for me with the support system I use. I can move the cake around without hurting the cake. Alot has to do with the supports. If using the big straws you can let them sit up higher than the cake and when you put the top cake on it will sink down. I hope this makes sense. I have sugarshacks dvd on stacking and that is how she does it. Lots of good tricks on it.

Jan14grands Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks - I'll try putting the cakes in the fridge for a while and see if that helps after I frost them. I do put the straws in and let them sink down slowly, but my problem is picking up the top tier and getting it there icon_smile.gif And I have watched Edna's video and she is truly amazing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%