Wonder Mold Help!! My Cake Isn't Baking Right!

Decorating By KimmieJ Updated 15 May 2009 , 9:40pm by cakeandpartygirl

KimmieJ Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 11

I tried the wondermold pan for the first time last night and found that it didn't bake evenly even with the rod on the middle....after about an hour of baking (at 325 b/c my oven seems to cook hotter), I went to check it, only to watch the middle start to deflate and sink...I cooked it longer in hopes that it cooked all the way through but the edges are a bit more done (hard) than I would like. How do I use this pan? icon_surprised.gif

I used 2 boxes of the Duncan Hines Butter Recipe Golden and measured 6 cups of batter that I put in the mold.

I want to try again, but wonder if I need to try a different mix, if I need to cook it longer? Do I need to add pudding to mix, if so, how do I do that? Please help! I need this cake done for a party tomorrow afternoon! TIA

10 replies
KimmieJ Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 11

bump

Texas_Rose Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 11

I used the WASC 1/2 recipe, the one that takes one cake mix...made it vanilla instead of almond since it was for a kids' party. Anyhow, it baked up fine in the mold at 350. It took a long time and the top was really tough, but since that part gets cut off when you level it, it was no big deal. The cake itself was very dense, but not unpleasantly so, and the grandmas at the party said it tasted like "wedding cake from an expensive bakery".

I can't remember how long I baked it, but it took a lot longer than the directions that came with it said it would. I used pam spray instead of crisco and flour (it was right after I broke my leg and I was so medicated that pam spray was all I thought I could manage icon_biggrin.gif ). It came out of the mold with no problems.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 11

I had purchased the butter flavor of DH and tried to use it for a cake but I have found that it didn't work for me icon_sad.gif I have tried it before and ended up using another flavor so that could be it but like texas_rose said it cooks a lot longer than expected also try dropping your temperature. I cook all of my cakes at 300 degrees.

KimmieJ Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks for the info...I want to stick with the box mix for now. I noticed that even my cupcakes turned out a bit off. The taste is great but not sure about the mix for baking.

any recommendation on a box mix and if I should add vanilla. I already have a cake baked at home and an 8" round and some cupcakes, but not sure if the wonder mold cake is cooked through (I'm going to check when I get home from work this evening) and not sure if the 8 inch will hold the weight of the wondermold cake icon_sad.gif

I thought the pan would be so much easier than this! Everyone seems to like it so much!

KimmieJ Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for the info...I want to stick with the box mix for now. I noticed that even my cupcakes turned out a bit off. The taste is great but not sure about the mix for baking.

any recommendation on a box mix and if I should add vanilla. I already have a cake baked at home and an 8" round and some cupcakes, but not sure if the wonder mold cake is cooked through (I'm going to check when I get home from work this evening) and not sure if the 8 inch will hold the weight of the wondermold cake icon_sad.gif

I thought the pan would be so much easier than this! Everyone seems to like it so much!

Loucinda Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 11

Don't use those "butter recipe" cake mixes - none of them work properly (IMO) I just use the WASC recipe and it does take forever to bake - just do as a PP said, you cut off the part that really bakes up hard - the rest is just fine.

KimmieJ Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the advice on the cake mix! I will stick to regular Yellow cake mix then....my friend requested yellow cake so the WASC won't work icon_sad.gif ..this is turning into alot of work! good thing this is considered pratice for when I do this for my daughter's birthday!

How much batter do you put in? I put in 6 cups and it didn't even hit the rim of the pan...do I need to put more?

KimmieJ Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 11

I have another question.....if I have the wonder mold cake, stacked on an 8 inch round, do I need to have dowels to support the weight? The Wonder Mold cake just seems to heavy?? or will barbie be enough of a dowel since she will be as tall at both the skirt and the round cake ont he bottom? thanks!

KimmieJ Posted 15 May 2009 , 7:13pm
post #10 of 11

bump icon_smile.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:40pm
post #11 of 11

I have used the 8 in round pan frequently without the dowels and haven't had a problem, in fact that is what I do all of the time. I just recently did one but I placed the wondermold and 8 in on top of a 10 in. I doweled the 10 in but otherwise it is fine. Definitely stick with the yellow it works the best. icon_smile.gifHTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%