Wish Me Luck Today - Live Bowls Between Cake Tiers!

Decorating By jenng1482 Updated 18 May 2009 , 3:56pm by mommyle

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 49

I'm fairly new at this and am trying something totally new and crazy today. I am placing shallow glass bowls between 3 double layer tiers with live fish in them! I had 3" diameter PVC pipe cut to the exact height of the bottom and middle tiers to support the weight of the bowls and put the middle tier on a dbl layer board. I am obviously going to asseble cake at reception. Any other ideas, thoughts, words of advice?

48 replies
brannendeville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brannendeville Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 49

Good Luck!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 49

ummm....how long will the live fish be in the cake? I'm assuming that the bowls will be covered by the next tiers cake plate and therefore no air will get in. When you buy a fish, they put it in a bag and its sealed...you can only have them in there for a short while before they run out of oxygen and die. So thats my only concern is that the bowl will be covered and so no air.

SOULLA13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SOULLA13 Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 49

i 2nd that too, wont the fish die???

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 49

Good Luck! But I'd be concerned about the fish not getting any air and dying while sitting out there (won't be an appetizing site).

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 49

You should buy the beta fish....they dont need any air. They sell them at Wal-Mart on the shelves in the pet department. They sit in their own container with a lid and no air so they shouldn't die.

Oh, and good luck!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 49

Sounds like a cool idea except for the risk of fish dying,Good luck.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 49

the bowls are about 1/2 gallon each so i'm thinking the few fish that will be in there should have enough air. It's a 2 hour graduation reception and i wont stack it until just before the party

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:16pm
post #9 of 49

Wow, what an interesting idea!! Please post a pic when you're done!! thumbs_up.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOULLA13

i 2nd that too, wont the fish die???

OMG what if they did? Yikes!

I hope you had a contract saying you are not liable for any...illness caused by the use of live animals on your cake.

But, it does sound kinda cool.

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:23pm
post #11 of 49

I would make sure the cake is perfectly centered and balanced because the water is adding extra weight to the cake. I wouldn't want it to fall over!

Good Luck! icon_rolleyes.gif

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:28pm
post #12 of 49

Yes I would betas, but dont put two in the same bowl. They are med sized fish with long fins, so it would look pretty and "showy". Most beta that are sold are males and they will fight each other till death if placed in the same bowl. That would not be very nice, but good luck and post pics when its all said and done.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:31pm
post #13 of 49

The fish won't die due to lack of oxygen--there's plenty of oxygen between the top of the water and the tier covering the fish bowl...of course this advice is coming from me, the lady who kept her daughters new gigantic gold fish alive for exactly 15 minutes after dumping it into the new gold fish bowl filled with well water from the tap without treating it first or allowing it to come to room temp icon_smile.gif!!! I can't wait to see your cake!!!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:33pm
post #14 of 49

Please post pics when you can. It sounds amazing! make sure the bowls are clean of anthing that would harm the fish during that short time. And the water too.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #15 of 49

Good Luck!

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:06pm
post #16 of 49

Interesting. If you are going to have live fish incorperated in your cake, why not make them part of the meal and serve sushi as a starter?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:09pm
post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara91

Interesting. If you are going to have live fish incorperated in your cake, why not make them part of the meal and serve sushi as a starter?

lol...catch your own...hey yeah...include little fishing poles....yuck.

sara91 Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:13pm
post #18 of 49

On a serious note, that sounds like a food and safety disaster waiting to happen. Live animals on top of food that is to be eaten???

I know it will be in glass but, there is water inside that the fish has been in.

I would not want to eat this cake! The water would be contaminated with urine and faeces.

Not much respect for the animal. Eat them or keep them as pets, not use them as gimmicks.

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:22pm
post #19 of 49
Quote:

On a serious note, that sounds like a food and safety disaster waiting to happen. Live animals on top of food that is to be eaten???

I know it will be in glass but, there is water inside that the fish has been in.

I would not want to eat this cake! The water would be contaminated with urine and faeces.

Not much respect for the animal. Eat them or keep them as pets, not use them as gimmicks.

Everything now-a-days is a gimmick. What ever separates you from the others is what I say.

HOWEVER: Just make sure you keep the bowls off the cake like i dont know put a cake board underneath the fish bowls. RON BEN ISREAL did something quiet similar- he did a sea scape wedding cake a few years back and the fish bowls where underneath the ENTIRE cake as a TRAY sort of.

Good luck and happy caking,
Stacy

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:24pm
post #20 of 49

Um, fish take oxygen from the water, so covering the bowls won't make a difference.

A friend of mine did this several years ago, and it worked fine. Just make sure that the sides of the bowls are strong enough to support the weight of the cake tier(s).

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:29pm
post #21 of 49
Quote:

C'mon. The fish aren't going to be laying on top of the cake. They're in a fish bowl in the water which will obviously be taken off the cake when it's cut. They're not going to dump the water over the cake before it's served. Why in the world would that keep you from eating the cake?

Sasha_Sweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sasha_Sweetie Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:46pm
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Quote:

Why in the world would that keep you from eating the cake?

That would be my ethics and an understanding of food hygiene.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:18pm
post #23 of 49

If I was that concerned about fish water touching my cake (and I'm not mind you, I won't tell you the things I've seen my mother do in the kitchen and I never once got food poisoning from her) then I would simply ask to have a slice of cake from one of the top tiers. Discreetly too. This is an important day for the graduate and I'm sure they're excited about getting a cake that's unlike anyone else's in their entire graduating class, or previous classes too. I wouldn't want to insult them by rudely announcing that you will not be having any of their cake because of the design they so carefully chose.

So quietly whisper to the host that you would prefer a slice from the top, or politely decline a slice all together. In this age of fad diets and healthy living, a guest declining a slice of cake is not unheard of, you don't have to tell them why you won't eat their cake. I do this all the time when someone offers me a slice of grocery store cake. Unfortunately I've kind of spoiled myself with the great scratch cake recipes here on CC! I smile, pat my belly and say, "Sorry, but the rest of the food was so good, I don't have any room for cake!"

There's my Miss Manner's take on the issue. Now as a decorator, I see nothing wrong with this. It sounds like a Duff cake with fireworks and spinning contraptions and music playing and etc etc etc. Logistically, it seems sound. Just seperate the glass bowl from the cake with cake boards. And I agree about the beta fish. Or you could simply leave an inch or so of clearance at the top of the fish bowl. Have fun and be sure to post pics!!! Perhps with an instruction article too so we could give it a try!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:26pm
post #24 of 49

make sure the fish have adjusted to the water temp before releasing them into the bowl so they don't die of shock

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:28pm
post #25 of 49

I really want to see pictures of this cake, sound interesting.

Sasha_Sweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sasha_Sweetie Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:58pm
post #26 of 49

Our bakery/cake shop would not accept a cake like this as it is too easy to be sued these days. Also the same for sticking those hard jewels/beads on cakes to be removed before eating. How can you guarantee that the reception staff will carry out the dismantling of the cake smoothly, without any risk? Perhaps for a small baker it is okay? Are there big cake shops that would take this order?

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:44pm
post #28 of 49

Great, thanks for posting the other post. I am glad to see there are others finding this wrong on so many levels.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #29 of 49

Just to make a few corrections about the fish- I breed all kinds of fish as a hobby including bettas.
The only fish you could keep in this set up is a betta, and no the bowl cannot be sealed with the cake. There must be access to fresh moving air. so no you cant seal it or cover it to prevent water spills.
bettas are labyrinth fish meaning they breathe the same air you and I do, they do not process the oxygen out of the water with gills like other fish do.

What are you or the client planning on doing with the fish after the party??
just planning to dispose of them?? rather cruel if thats the plan.

If you are going to do this, I personally think its a bad idea, make sure the fish aren't fed for about 4-5 hours before the cake is assembled, otherwise there will be lots of little poop balls at the bottom of the bowls.
The fish must then be fed as soon as the cake is disassembled.

This process is gonna take you a couple of days just for the fish.
Each bowl must have conditioned water in it for a few days before you place the fish in it.
also you cant just plop the fish in the bowl straight out of the container you bought it in the store in. it needs to be conditioned to the water in the bowls- usually about a 2 hr process.

if you want more detailed instructions pm me

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #30 of 49

Well despite what others think, I think it sounds really cool, and I cant wait to see a picture.

I do agree with not feeding them right before you stick them in the bowl, there will be fish dookie everywhere, so dont feed them until after they cut the cake. I think they will be fine in the little bowls for a couple of hours too, if they dont die right away from shock they will have enough oxygen for a couple of hours, especially if you are going to do your set up right before the party.

Neat Idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%