Are You Kidding Me????ahhhh

Baking By madgeowens Updated 20 May 2009 , 1:22pm by Vylette

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:23am
post #31 of 85

I have used satin ice and it cracked on me. ALso my MMF tastes better, I just can't get the colors I want haha

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:24am
post #32 of 85

Yep...either buy it pre colored or get an airbrush machine and take care of it one or two sprays!

madgeowens Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:27am
post #33 of 85

I wouldn't want to color my entire kitchen red LOL

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:31am
post #34 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Yep...either buy it pre colored or get an airbrush machine and take care of it one or two sprays!

And to that, I say "Amen"

Red or Black fondant= pre- colored Satin Ice!!!

Red or Black buttercream= pre-colored Sams Icing icon_biggrin.gif

If you dont have time to get either, spray that b***h with your airbrush. It'll take less time to clean up the over spray than it will to color your own and MAYBE get it right.

pinkcamo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkcamo Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:49am
post #35 of 85

I had this same issue with BC.. it was mauve, then brown and I needed it to be more red...(actually maroon for Iron Man Cake) I desperately added some Cherry Kool-Aid (the singles that you put in a water bottle) and BAM, that worked!

Maybe you could start with strawberry marshmallows if your making MMF and keep adding no taste red.

madgeowens Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:55am
post #36 of 85

I used cherry cool Kool aid when I made it, so I had the pink base like I read in here..............it just got more pink, never red....its ugly now

madgeowens Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:57am
post #37 of 85

oh, and of course I don't have a sprayer, and I cannot find powder colors around here.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:21am
post #38 of 85

I don't love the taste of satin ice either, but for the aggravation (and the fact that no one ever eats much of the fondant no matter what kind it is) I buy red and black. Chocopan makes red and black too and tastes better but it's pricier so I just get satin ice since no one eats it anyway and it doesn't taste bad... just not as good as others. icon_biggrin.gif It's well worth the cost to save my sanity. icon_lol.gif

That being said, you do have to be careful when mixing colors... I bet it was the black that sent it over the edge into the grey-ish brown-ish liver color. Since a lot of the time (like K8 said) the black is green-ish in its base color, adding it to red will dull it out since green is red's complmentary color and mixing complimentary colors will get you a grey-ish and sometimes brown-ish (depending on the shades) color. A color wheel would be a good thing to grab... it can help when mixing colors. icon_biggrin.gif

I say a green or blue car would be awesome though... red has been done so many times... icon_lol.gif

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:06am
post #39 of 85

haha I dont know I have never had a problem making red or black but I use americolor for these colours and I think its great.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:30am
post #40 of 85

One idea for you to use up your turd colour is to first cover the car with it in a thickish layer, then get a smaller amount of true red, roll it thinkly and make a 'topcoat' on the car with that. If the first layer dries out before applying the second, brush it first with a little water of sugar syrup.

I tend to use a combination of powders and Americolour to get red, although I have been tempted by the pre-dyed sausage of fondant you can buy in red green or black. What I truly dislike though is the thought of THAT MUCH food colouring in anything I am eating or serving to people, so lately I have been using ganache as an undercoat and applying thin coloured fondant. This minimises both the expense of buying colours and also tastes a million per cent better (IMO)!

One other thought I had is you could maybe buy one of those Wilton spray tins of mist colours?? I have no idea if they are a good effect as I have never used them, but if its as good as airbrushing...maybe?

Good luck with it all icon_smile.gif

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:45am
post #41 of 85

I had that happen the other night while trying to make black fondant for a graduate's tassel. I finally settled for a dark gray. After the piece dried I "painted" it black with black food coloring that had been diluted with vodka. I got a BLACK tassel! I warned my coworkers that they might not want to eat the tassel or their teeth would be black. lol

Because it turned out glossy, that might work for the car that you're making.

Evoir Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:48am
post #42 of 85

The other I wanted to mention was that powders need to be worked in properly, left to rest overnight at least, then kneaded properly again!! Lots of work.

I also do the colour in alcohol thing too...mostly for flowers.

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:02pm
post #43 of 85

Do you have an airbrush? I used to struggle with red fondant, but the air brush has totally fixed that problem. I cover with white fondant and just spray on red. Beautiful rich red color everytime. If it is not too late, can you post a pic of your fondant so I can see the current color and base recommendations off that. Sorry you are having a hard time. Defintely been there myself.

Sorry and good luck. If you lived nearby I would recommend come over and use my airbrush. anyone else nearby can help maybe with and airbrush? Great post moms day gift to yourself icon_biggrin.gif

Trish

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:12pm
post #44 of 85

I read a post like this before I went color shopping last year. So instead of buying more wilton jars I bought bigger bottles of Americolor. I was tired of getting stained hands from opening the jars anyway. I started using gloves so my fingers won't turn colors. It's hard to enjoy yourself while trying to keep your hands hidden.
Anyhoo I always see posts about the dreaded black fondant. I have no idea what they are talking about because after a generous squirt of Americolor I have pure black on my MMF or MFF and it still tastes good in a side by side comparison with white uncolored.
I did have a very bad experience with buttercream and wilton red one Fourth of July before I bought Americolor. So No more Wilton color for me.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:16pm
post #45 of 85

I have to agree. I only use Americolor and have no problem getting black or red.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:48pm
post #46 of 85

I agree americolor is the the best, spectrum is good too. But wilton has a few colors the other companies don't have. But she has to use what she has available to her.

scarlett9920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scarlett9920 Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:05pm
post #47 of 85

Toss it. What color of red are you going for? If you have time restraints cover the car and paint with coloring mixed with everclear. If you have time start with burgundy then and red. It will still be somewhat harder to work with because of the amount of coloring required and you still need to add more sugar and let it set. It helps a little if you add your coloring when you make your fondant then let it set about 8 hours before using. Its a little less sticky. In general if I need large amount of a true red or black fondant I usually order satin ice. Just because its a little less of a headache getting the right color.

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:27pm
post #48 of 85

I haven'tread all of the posts., so if i am repeating sorry. I always color my marshmallows while they are melted with super chinese red. It always works for me. Good Luck

madgeowens Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:31pm
post #49 of 85

cathie_shinnick

Some others said they do it that way. How much red do you use then? I don't know if I want to try again this time.....but I might LOL
Thanks everyone...........I can't find americolors or powder colors around here, we live in rural hick area....so I guess they think we don't want to use anything so dern fancy smanchy haha

Yenep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yenep Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:56pm
post #50 of 85

Adding purple didn't help? If it's liver colored, maybe add some yellow...then more purple...then more red...?

I'm like FromScratch, I buy red and black. But no need to throw it out - if you don't use it, just wrap it up and add some other color to it for the next cake. If you add enough junk to it, you could have the tire color and/or windshield color for this cake!

Good luck!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:30pm
post #51 of 85

Madge - try starting with chocolate MMF - there is something in cocoa powder that picks up red and black better. I learned this trick from an instructor who is the head pastry chef at a major hotel here. I use this trick all the time when I need red or black bc or fondant. Uses less coloring too.

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:20am
post #52 of 85

madge, I add and stir until I get to the shade that I need. I use this method with all colors, its so much easier than adding color to already made fondant, especially if you need a lot.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:38am
post #53 of 85
Quote:
Quote:

try starting with chocolate MMF - there is something in cocoa powder that picks up red and black better.

I always do chocolate before black but have never tried it to get red. Is it a nice rich red? I must try a bit, I'm now curious.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:45am
post #54 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballymena

Quote:
Quote:

try starting with chocolate MMF - there is something in cocoa powder that picks up red and black better.

I always do chocolate before black but have never tried it to get red. Is it a nice rich red? I must try a bit, I'm now curious.

It is a very rich red - so happy that I learned this trick

madgeowens Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:36am
post #55 of 85

Well I don't have the patience to try fighting with red again so I made a nice teal color today. I may try and use the liver/poo color yet LOL, but I can't see what unless it would be a tire that I thencover with black. I could probably actually make that suff black now. Is there a point that playing with mmf will get stiff and tough to work with?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:41am
post #56 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Well I don't have the patience to try fighting with red again so I made a nice teal color today. I may try and use the liver/poo color yet LOL, but I can't see what unless it would be a tire that I thencover with black. I could probably actually make that suff black now. Is there a point that playing with mmf will get stiff and tough to work with?

Liver/poo, I love that color!
Maybe you could do a cake for a medical student or something.
Or a CSI fan maybe?
Start a cookie trend maybe, liver/poo cookies. icon_lol.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:42am
post #57 of 85

No no I got it I got it!! My family has AA members so I'm just teasing--but cute little healthy liver/poo cookies would be fabulous for AA meetings!!!! Oh god I'm laughing so hard.

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:50am
post #58 of 85

When it come to red and black fondant I just buy it from the manufacturer, here's the best people I know. http://cooksdream.com/store/s10072.html

Evoir Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:33am
post #59 of 85

I know you can NOT overknead commercial RTR fondants like Pettinince, but not so sure about homemade MMF.

madgeowens Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:42am
post #60 of 85

k8memphis

thats a good idea......I can make a cake shaped like a diseased liver and give away slices at the tavern down town LOL
or one of the fast food places I can just..............no I won't go there hahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%