Getting Started In A Business

Business By buggus Updated 15 May 2009 , 1:22pm by buggus

buggus Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 11

Okay, I just recently finished my Wilton courses and am continuing to practice with cakes, etc. I realized while I took them this is my passion and what I want to do for a business. How do I get started?? I really hate my current employment and know I can't give that up until I'm really busy, so how long will it take approximately? I have a young son, and would love to be a working mom from home.

10 replies
leah_s Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:46am
post #2 of 11

Well, first you need to find out if you can legally bake at home.

buggus Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:55am
post #3 of 11

Yes, I can legally bake at home, as long as I don't advertise outside my house.

terrier Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:05am
post #4 of 11

Where in Canada are you?

indydebi Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:12am
post #5 of 11

If you're wanting to do this to replace your current job, you should write a business plan. This will tell you what kind of gross sales you'll need to have to generate the income you'll need to live on.

buggus Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier

Where in Canada are you?

I'm in Ontario

buggus Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:32am
post #8 of 11

that's not quite what I was looking for. I already have a business name registered.

I want to know how everyone here got started?? How did you spread the word that you were having a business? Did you advertise? Or did you solely start on word of mouth business by making cakes for occasions, etc??

cakeinthebox4U Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:41am
post #9 of 11

I'm in Ontario as well and so far it's been my understanding that you can't legally bake from home advertising or not. I'd love to make this my business too, I'm currently a stay at home mom but for now it's a hobby until I have the time and money to be able to rent commerical kitchen space. If you know something different please share!!

terrier Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:59am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

I'm in Ontario as well and so far it's been my understanding that you can't legally bake from home advertising or not. I'd love to make this my business too, I'm currently a stay at home mom but for now it's a hobby until I have the time and money to be able to rent commerical kitchen space. If you know something different please share!!

I am in Ontario too! that has been my understanding as well. Please let us know were you got your info from....

Cheers,
Ally

buggus Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:22pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier

Quote:
Quote:

I am in Ontario too! that has been my understanding as well. Please let us know were you got your info from....

Cheers,
Ally

It all depends on what City you're in. I live outside of Toronto (which I know this rule applies), so the permits/bylaws are different here. I called the city offices where I live and they said it is permitted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%