Getting Started In A Business

Business By buggus Updated 15 May 2009 , 1:22pm by buggus

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 11

Okay, I just recently finished my Wilton courses and am continuing to practice with cakes, etc. I realized while I took them this is my passion and what I want to do for a business. How do I get started?? I really hate my current employment and know I can't give that up until I'm really busy, so how long will it take approximately? I have a young son, and would love to be a working mom from home.

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:46am
post #2 of 11

Well, first you need to find out if you can legally bake at home.

buggus Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:55am
post #3 of 11

Yes, I can legally bake at home, as long as I don't advertise outside my house.

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:05am
post #4 of 11

Where in Canada are you?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:12am
post #5 of 11

If you're wanting to do this to replace your current job, you should write a business plan. This will tell you what kind of gross sales you'll need to have to generate the income you'll need to live on.

buggus Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier

Where in Canada are you?

I'm in Ontario

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:32am
post #8 of 11

that's not quite what I was looking for. I already have a business name registered.

I want to know how everyone here got started?? How did you spread the word that you were having a business? Did you advertise? Or did you solely start on word of mouth business by making cakes for occasions, etc??

cakeinthebox4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeinthebox4U Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:41am
post #9 of 11

I'm in Ontario as well and so far it's been my understanding that you can't legally bake from home advertising or not. I'd love to make this my business too, I'm currently a stay at home mom but for now it's a hobby until I have the time and money to be able to rent commerical kitchen space. If you know something different please share!!

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:59am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

I'm in Ontario as well and so far it's been my understanding that you can't legally bake from home advertising or not. I'd love to make this my business too, I'm currently a stay at home mom but for now it's a hobby until I have the time and money to be able to rent commerical kitchen space. If you know something different please share!!

I am in Ontario too! that has been my understanding as well. Please let us know were you got your info from....

Cheers,
Ally

buggus Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:22pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier

Quote:
Quote:

I am in Ontario too! that has been my understanding as well. Please let us know were you got your info from....

Cheers,
Ally

It all depends on what City you're in. I live outside of Toronto (which I know this rule applies), so the permits/bylaws are different here. I called the city offices where I live and they said it is permitted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%