Dummy Cake

Decorating By jennbrownrigg Updated 15 May 2009 , 1:11am by underthesun

jennbrownrigg Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 6

I've been asked to do a 3 tier dummy wedding cake. I've never done a dummy cake, nor have I ever done a 3 tier. If it's a dummy, do I need to support each tier or can they simply sit on top of one another? Also, how would I get the fondant to stick? Would I just ice it with a 'cheap version' of buttercream or RI or use gel? If it matters, the cake is very simply covered flatly with fondant, then it has tree branches coming out the sides and top of each tier and little craft birds on each tier so it won't be a lot of weight.

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

5 replies
celestecakes78 Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:48am
post #2 of 6

You don't have to add support to the dummys just make sure you put some frosting between the different tiers to glue them together you don't want them to slide. For the fondant you can use the cheap BC over the dummy and then fondant over that. If the dummy is going to be thrown away use the cheap BC but if your planning on saving it for awhile like for a display or something you might want to ice with royal icing underneath the fondant,it wont get yucky like BC will.I did that for my wedding cake.

celestecakes78 Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:49am
post #3 of 6

I forgot.. GOOD LUCK thumbs_up.gif

dsilvest Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:00am
post #4 of 6

If you are covering the cake with fondant, all you have to do is lightly spritz it with water. It is enough to stick the fondant to the foam.

First you have to lightly sand the upper edge of each layer to soften it so that the fondant does not rip. If you are covering a square foam, sand the
vertical corners edges as well.

To clean the fondant off the foam soak them in hot soapy water until the fondant softens, then gently peel the fondant away. You can use a plastic spatula to assist you.

If you have piping gel, a bit of that in the middle of each layer is enough to stick them together.

I do this all the time.

indydebi Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:09am
post #5 of 6

And listen, when dsilvest says "lightly spritz", she means LIGHTLY spritz!

I was doing a fondant dummy and decided to "lightly mist" the dummy using the sprayer from my sink. Oh. My. God. What a freakin' mess it was! icon_lol.gif To top it all off, I was working with black fondant and I had little black streams of color all over me!

"lightly" means LIGHTLY!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

underthesun Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:11am
post #6 of 6

dsilvest is absolutely correct on spritzing your foam with water to attach the fondant. No BC is even needed. The one I did, using this method last week is totally stuck.

Great info dsilvest! I am planning to disassemble a dummy tomorrow and didn't even think about soaking it.

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%