Frosting Problems.... Please Help!

Decorating By Ahunt Updated 15 May 2009 , 2:37pm by bubba01

Ahunt Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 7

So when I started out making cakes i used the Wilton Buttercream recipe and never was overjoyed with the flavor. I have been using a recipe given to me by a woman in town who has been makin cakes for 40 years. Her recipe doesn't use butter just crisco. I find that i can never get it really smooth.....always kind of gritty and seems to have a lot of air bubbles that appear everytime i smooth it out. Everyone just raves over the flavor tho.
I have a wedding cake to do in the next month and I really could use some help because they want buttercream and I know my recipe just wont give the fabulous results a wedding cake deserves. Any suggestions or alternate recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone else have problems when coloring their icing? I have noticed that it seems to seperate when i finish mixing it. So I dont get a true color sometimes...... icon_mad.gif

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Frustrated with Frosting!

6 replies
ayerim979 Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 7

I wish I can be of more help. I find the same exact problem when it comes to my buttercream (crisco creme as Hubby calls it lol)

I will bump for yah, for I too would love to know. icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 7

Maybe if you post the recipe you are using, we might be able to help you figure out where it's going wrong.

mayamia Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 7

sometime back I bought the dvd perfecting the art of buttercream from Sharon at she shows you some awesome techniques for your buttercream and i have seen a big difference in my cakes so much easier I love the dvd maybe you can try it

shanna_banana Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 7

Here's a forum topic on "Everything you wanted to know about Buttercream"

It has many, many pages but you don't have to read them all. I read several before I started my last cake. One big help to me was to never beat the frosting faster than medium speed, or a 2-3 on a KA mixer. This helps with the air bubbles. As for the color, I only use gel or paste food colors. If you are using the liquid ones, they would separate as water and oil (crisco) don't mix. You might try not mixing too much after adding the color...just until it's blended, maybe even mixing the last bit by hand.

The recipe I used was fantastic and can be found at the following link:

It was light, smooth, and creamy. I flavored it with orange Lorann oil. I thought it was amazing. HTH Good Luck!

Ahunt Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:09am
post #6 of 7

My recipe is 1c crisco, 1tsp salt, 2 tsp van extract beat until creamy then add 1/2 cup water and 6c 10x. I appreciate the help and will definitely check out the links.

And as for coloring I do only use the gel colorings, thats why I was so confused on the seperation!!

bubba01 Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 7

I would agree with mayamia about Sugar Shack, it's worth the money. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%