To Use Or Not To Use A Heating Core?

Decorating By jomar0321 Updated 15 May 2009 , 7:54pm by sugarshack

jomar0321 Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 11

I'm making a 12" round cake, do I need to use a heating core? I have one that I purchased for a full sheet cake pan but didn't even need to use it. I thought it was more trouble than needed to be. Would rather not have to worry about the "plug". I don't have time to experiment or redo the cake. Also, do you notice a difference between baking with butter vs stick margarine (blue bonnet)? Probably a loaded question!!

10 replies
solascakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 11

If you have a heating core,USE IT.

jomar0321 Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 11

Ok, fine! You're the expert! lol

Malakin Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 11

I don't use heating cores. Like you said, more trouble than they are worth. But anything over 10" I turn a flower nail upside down, place it in the middle and spray with cooking spray. Works everytime with no plug to fill. Also, I use both margarine and butter. If I am not worried about the high water content in a recipe, I use margarine. If the added water makes a difference, like in the meringe icing, I use butter. Does taste better but I just add butter flavoring to my cakes mixes instead for the added taste.

pipe-dreams Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 11

I would use it, especially if you don't have time to redo it. Anything 10" or bigger I always use it. As far as butter, I usually use all shortening instead of the 50% butter. But when I do use butter, it's always the stick kind, and usually walmart or sam's club brand.

anasasi Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 11

jomar, I have a heating core but don't use it unless it's absolutely necessary. I dislike the plugs myself. In place of them I generally just spray the Wilton's nail nail with non-stick flour spray and place it in the pan upside down. The bigger the cake the more nails I use. I'd use one or maybe two in a 12". Lol, I just realized that I have to be looking at the pan to figure that one out, but one should do the trick.

anasasi Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 11

Oops, sorry Malakin. I walked away from the PC before completing my post. Didn't realize you had already covered the nail thing.

jomar0321 Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks everyone for your posts. I'm getting ready to start my cake, and will give the nail a try. Thanks for your help!

mbt4955 Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 11

I know you've already heard this, but I used a heating core one time and did not like it. I use flower nails and would probably use 1 in a 12" pan. I don't use any in a 10" round and use 3 in a 16" round/square.

I don't use margarine so can't help with that question.

PinkZiab Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:42am
post #10 of 11

I have never ever ever used a heating core... I had never even HEARD of one (or using the flower nail that way) before coming to CC. I've baked 16" cakes with no problem without a core.

I never use margarine in my baking... nothing tastes as good as REAL butter, to me. You also just don't get the same texture from things, in my opinion.

sugarshack Posted 15 May 2009 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 11

I love the heating core! nails do nothng for my cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%