Can I Decorate With Buttercream On Fondant?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 14 May 2009 , 9:30pm by 350BakerStreet

cherrycakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 5

I would like to make a two tier train cake like so many have done -with the green bottom and the top blue and then decorate with trees and clouds in buttercream. I have only seen them done on all buttercream cakes but I was wondering if I could do fondant cakes but still decorate with buttercream? Does the buttercream stick to the fondant? Thanks!

4 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 5

yes buttercream can be used on top of fondant to decorate

wakeandbake Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 5

yes you can but i think that most people tend to use royal icing on fondant.

cherrycakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 5
Originally Posted by wakeandbake

yes you can but i think that most people tend to use royal icing on fondant.

Thanks for your responses! Do you know why they would use royal? I can't imagine eating hard icing! I just wanted to try fondant because I need to practice more and I also wanted to try the white chocolate fondant, but maybe I'll just stick to all buttercream for this one!

350BakerStreet Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 5

I don't know about everyone else, but I think I would do fine piping work or lace in royal icing...less chance of the little details getting smashed by accident and it won't melt off the side of the cake in warm conditions. I've actually heard of this happening. I did my frog cake with buttercream decorations and didn't have any problems. It's a decorators individual choice, I suppose icon_smile.gif Good luck with your cake...sounds cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%