Topsy Turvy Q: When To Decorate?

Decorating By niccicola Updated 18 May 2009 , 12:35pm by anabelz01

niccicola Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 14

So I'm in the middle of creating my first topsy-turvy.

NERVOUS, though confident.

I have 3 tiers. They have been torted, filled, angled, crumb-coated, and now rest in the refrigerator. I have dinner plans with some out-of-town friends tonight, so

1)is it okay if it stays in the fridge until 8pm or so until I get a chance to fondant it?
2) should I put each tier back in the fridge after fondanting to get the fondant at the same temp as the cake, and then pull it out to let it come to room temp at the same time? I'm trying to eliminate bubbles
3)When should I decorate each tier? Before I stack it on top of the other tiers, or before?

Thx!

13 replies
niccicola Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 14

please help!?

nannie Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 14

no idea but here's a bump

cutthecake Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 14

Wish I could help. My one and only topsy turvy cake (a welcome home from Italy cake for my daughter) collapsed at home while we were on the way to the airport to pick her up. But here's a bump.

niccicola Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 14

why do you think it collapsed? Did you use dowels in each tier and a center dowel?

pattycakesnj Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 14

I decorate each tier and then stack.
I also don't ever refrigerate cakes unless they have a perishable filling, and then let them come to almost room temp before putting on fondant
HTH

yamber82 Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 14

i usaully fill and crumb coat my tiers the night before covering with fondant. take the tier you are about to cover out to sit while you roll the fondant out. no need to put it back in the fridge after covering but i don't know whether it would hurt or not. it's basically the same principles as a regular 2 or 3 tiered cake. decorate each tier like you would if they weren't slanted just be sure to remember the part of each of the top 2 tiers will be hidden behind the slanted part of the previous tier. i find when i cover a whimsical cake in fondant i carve out the place for the next layer, then cover in fondant, then cut out a circle in the fondant where the next layer is going because i think it looks way less bulky than leaving the fondatn there and trying to smooth it in. so i cut out that small part of fondant, smear some bc around the inner wall also and stack the decorated layers. then finish the edges

dogwood Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 14

I haven't done a Topsy Turvy myself yet but I have done fondant covered cakes before but from what I understand it's not a good idea to put your cake back in the fridge after you put the fondant on it. Personally, I would let the cake sit out of the fridge while I prepared my fondant so that it has a start on coming back to room temp. Then once the fondant is on I would do all my decorating except for borders before I stack the tiers and then do borders last. Also, if you have anything that will be standing up on the tiers I would do them after stacking.

Maybe someone with more experience will come along and offer suggestions.

niccicola Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 14

The only reason i ask is because I believe in Janelle's YouTube video on her Valentine topsy turvy, she said she crumb coats, chills, fondants, chills again to eliminate a lot of the problems with bubbly fondant.

I do teeter-totter between putting fondant in the fridge or not...I am using Satin Ice this time around instead of MMF because our A/C is broke and I dont' trust MMF in this humid house

cutthecake Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:06am
post #10 of 14

Am I the only one on CC whose refrigerator is too small and/or filled with food to fit honkin' big cakes in it? I have to shoehorn in the leftovers. No room for cake!
Niccicola, if you were asking me about the collapsed cake......I had no idea what I was doing. I had dowels in each layer, but I don't think I cut them very carefully. Maybe they were uneven and contributed to the collapse. I did not put in a center dowel because I didn't have one. (Good reason, huh?) And I was in a rush, as usual.
My husband and I were on our way to the airport to pick up one daughter when our other daughter called from home and said, "Mom, you know that cake that was on the counter?" (The "was" got my attention.)
"Yeah..."
"Well, it fell over."
When we arrived home, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the cake wasn't that bad.
I never got to take a "before" picture, though.
I'm contemplating another topsy turvy cake. I hope I've learned from my mistakes, and from the experts here. The first one was almost a year ago, so I think it's time I got back up on that horse. But I have to do it when I have lots of TIME.

milissasmom Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:16am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Am I the only one on CC whose refrigerator is too small and/or filled with food to fit honkin' big cakes in it? I have to shoehorn in the leftovers. No room for cake!
Niccicola, if you were asking me about the collapsed cake......I had no idea what I was doing. I had dowels in each layer, but I don't think I cut them very carefully. Maybe they were uneven and contributed to the collapse. I did not put in a center dowel because I didn't have one. (Good reason, huh?) And I was in a rush, as usual.
My husband and I were on our way to the airport to pick up one daughter when our other daughter called from home and said, "Mom, you know that cake that was on the counter?" (The "was" got my attention.)
"Yeah..."
"Well, it fell over."
When we arrived home, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the cake wasn't that bad.
I never got to take a "before" picture, though.
I'm contemplating another topsy turvy cake. I hope I've learned from my mistakes, and from the experts here. The first one was almost a year ago, so I think it's time I got back up on that horse. But I have to do it when I have lots of TIME.

lol...I have a "Cake" refrigerator which is for cake stuff only! Other than that, it would never work with a family of 4!! lol

cutthecake Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:40am
post #12 of 14

I would love to have a "cake" refrigerator! It would have to go in the garage, though, and the garage is not easily reached from the kitchen. I could keep the cake refrigerator in the kitchen, and the food refrigerator in the garage. Another weight loss plan! No food in the kitchen.

sweetjan Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:06pm
post #13 of 14

You can also pm Sugarshack (Sharon Zambito), as she has done an instructional DVD on this very subject! hth

anabelz01 Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #14 of 14

Hi, Regarding refridgerating the fondant, I never put a fondant cake in the fridge because it sweats and goes very tacky, I find it best to let the cakes come up to room temp before covering as it allows the air in the cake and the cake to warm up. Otherwise the air expands as it warms under the fondant, and since it has no-where to go it causes bubbles!
Hope it helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%