How Would You Do This? Lace Pattern? 200 People? Scary!

Decorating By jardot22 Updated 22 May 2009 , 8:37pm by jardot22

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 21

Ok, so I was asked to give a quote for the attached cake. I have never done a pattern like that before, and was wondering if anyone can tell me how I would accomplish that look? And I've never done a tiered construction before either, let alone with flowers all up in the middle like that. Help! LOL. I would love to help her out, but this is a little nerve-racking to me.
LL

20 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 21

It looks like they used a lace mold. You can buy them at several different places online.(Caljava, Global Sugar Art, and Jennifer Dontz carries some nice ones) Basically the fondant is rolled very thin and pressed into the mold. Then its draped onto the cake. You could also use a textured rolling pin or mat and achieve the same look. Then just cut the edge in a scallop fashion like its shown.
As far as the stacking, you want to get plates that have the poles that go to them. Inside the cakes you want to dowel or use bubble-tea staws all around where the plate is going to sit. Then its just stacking them. If you use real flowers, you want to make sure they are pesticide free from the florist and not touching the cake at all. Some florists can actually make the arrangements for you. I know my local florist will charge from $25 - $50 for each tier.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:49am
post #3 of 21

it looks like cornelli lace to me. simply a wiggly line of continious piping, not touching or overlapping. looking at the edge its not a set pattern thats what makes me think its cornelli. very pretty cake.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:53am
post #4 of 21

Sweetcakes, I was thinking cornelli too!

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:05pm
post #5 of 21

I was thinking that it just looked like the squiggly icing 'lace', too. I had no idea that it had a special name, though. You learn something new everyday icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 21

I think you could get away with doing cornelli lace on it. Maybe even sotas? If it were me I would just trace the outline at the edge of the lace and fill it in with cornelli lace, and at the bottom of the pattern finish it off with a teeny tiny bead border to hide the edges. I wouldnt go through all the trouble of a mold unless the bride specifically mentioned it. Its a pretty design though. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 21

Yes, it is a mold - I zoomed in on it really close-up - however.......one could easily come up with a very close looking duplicate by using cornelli icon_smile.gif Especially if you don't want to invest in an expensive mold. Can't do that all the time, but for this look that's what I'd do.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 21

You could also make your own "mold" in any design you want by piping royal icing onto waxed paper (let it dry) and then pressing it into the buttercream. Then just go over it with whatever icing you're using on the cake. I've done that with writing and it worked like a charm. Just remember you're doing a mirror image.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:39am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj

You could also make your own "mold" in any design you want by piping royal icing onto waxed paper (let it dry) and then pressing it into the buttercream. Then just go over it with whatever icing you're using on the cake. I've done that with writing and it worked like a charm. Just remember you're doing a mirror image.

I was going to say cornelli lace, but I love CC you pick up such neat ideas and tips. I would have never thought of makeing my own mold with royal icing. Thanks alana thumbs_up.gif

jardot22 Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:55pm
post #10 of 21

Wow thanks ladies! I am thinking that I'm going to do cornelli lace since I dont' want to spend lots of $$ to invest in a lace mold quite yet.

JCE62108, would you mind telling me what sotas are?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 21

Sotas are similiar to cornelli lace but it's all right for the string of icing to loop over and touch the other lines. It's easier but a little messier looking, at least to me.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 21

Sotas are *MUCH* harder to do 'on the sides of the cake'. Rather easy on the tops but oh my! don't try it on the sides icon_sad.gif

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 21

It appears to be cornelli lace to me. Not hard, but more difficult on the sides. It's easier with a tilting turntable if you have one.

Depending on the size of the layers, we would charge $500 - 600 for this cake...if it is a 14, 12, 8 which it appears to be...and the florist supplies all the flowers. You just have to be sure to let the florist know that you need lots of flowers dues to the separated tiers. We always add the flowers...the florist just makes sure to have plenty at the reception site.

jardot22 Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:36pm
post #14 of 21

The florist will be meeting me to place the flowers, so I plan on getting there earlier to assemble the cake and get it ready for the flowers. I've never done a cake where fresh flowers were placed, so I don't really know what to expect for that part either. I'm guessing I need to bring some floral foam to put between each tier for the flowers to be placed.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:56pm
post #15 of 21

You shouldn't need any floral foam. Just cut the stems on the flowers and place them in between the layers.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:09pm
post #16 of 21

icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:11pm
post #17 of 21

Actually....on closer inspection, I don't think it is a mold afterall. None of the edges line up in a repeating pattern, and I think the edges are just outlined with small beads of icing, making the whole thing look raised. I have a feeling you cornelli lace theorists may be right.

__Jamie__ Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:12pm
post #18 of 21

Ok...now I am convinced. Upon having inspected in zoom mood (lol), it'e just a bunch of different sized dot/pearl shaped beads piped individually...yeah?? Yeah?

scarlett9920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scarlett9920 Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:33pm
post #19 of 21

It's an impression mat with pearl luster dust. Then cut and bordered with royal frosting. I believe the mat is called sand

__Jamie__ Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:40pm
post #20 of 21

http ://www.sug arcr a ft. com /catalog/gumpaste/impression-mats/tts01.jpg Like that? I put spaces, cuz this place blocks that site. It says the "sand" one is the top left corner mat. Hmmm...doesn't really look like it. But the cut and edged with RI, totally see that, if indeed it is an impression mat.

jardot22 Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:37pm
post #21 of 21

LOL Thanks so much for inspecting it for me! I am thinking that the best way to go is definitely cornelli lace with some tiny beading on the border. Wow I can already feel my hand hurting! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%