Braggin' On Myself But Kind Of A Funny Story...

Decorating By tuffstuff Updated 15 May 2009 , 12:22am by JenniferMI

tuffstuff Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 11

So I'm taking a break from the frustation that is the Texas baker's bill thread. (Uuuugghhh!!)
At my job, I'm the official birthday cake baker. That's my contribution (for everyone else, it's like 10 or 12 bucks) Well, my party rolls around and usually I want to make my own cake but they're like, no, no, we don't want you to do that. And I'd kinda feel weird too.
The thing is, I kind of hate grocery store cake now (used to be fine with it before I started making my own!)
So they agreed to jointly pay amongst the 7 of them for a cake from a bakery near my house. They were glad to since they know I put a lot into my cakes for them. I'd never used this bakery but I kind of wanted to scope them out.
So we had the cake today.... I had been all anxious to see if it was tasty (or BETTER than mine!) and it was a let down! The frosting, you could tell was all shortening (someone said it tasted like bubblegum?!), and looked streaky. It was on the dry side. It had a thin layer of frosting as a filling (a nice filling costs extra). And the fondant accents - I am wondering what kind of fondant it was. It was very bland, almost flavorless. My coworkers were laughing as I did my "tasting" and critique.
Later after that I asked someone, "so, what'd you think... wasn't that good, huh?" And she said "yeah, yours are better. after you left, we agreed that next year, we'll ask you to make your own cake and we'll pay for the supplies and buy you a gift" (we don't do gifts, just food)
I thought that was funny and made me feel really good. I am proud of my yummy cakes icon_biggrin.gif
Usually at our break, people are back at the cake grazing off of it. This time the poor cake was all boxed up already when I went back for a soda. Heehee!!

10 replies
cakeaddiction Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 11

That's too funny. Glad they recognize good cake now. I just recently started taking the Wilton classes. For the fist course you had to make a class a night and those went to work with my husband. Second course you only make one at the end, but I was trying some stuff out and sent one to work with him the first week of course 2. This Tues. someone politely came to my husband with a concern. He wanted to know where the yummy cakes were. LOL Made me feel good. They were disappointed when they found out they only got one from now on. icon_lol.gif

crazygravy Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 11

Now that is too funny. BTW, if your cakes taste as good as they look I'd probably want your cake also!!!!

alvarezmom Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 11

That happened to me last year, but it was with my family. I had BIG plans for making my own cake. My sister thought it would be nice to buy one for me from her friend at wk. Well it would have been nice to have chocolate (my fav). Instead I got spice cake which is okay but not what I would have gotten, and it was barely enough to feed every one. There was no filling so about 4 cakes on top of each other with nothing to quinch my moth with. This year I'll be making my own!!!

wakeandbake Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 11

good for you! it's ok to toot your own horn every once in a while... especially when the people around you are tooting right along with you. icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 11

That is hilarious!!! My hubby refused cake from his break room after one bit that he spit back out. He says I have made a cake snob out of him. I had just made the catbox cake and it had taken him almost an hour to finally take a few bites when he started really chomping down he told me about the breakroom cake. He said even this (holding up fork full of catbox) tastes ten times better. It's nice to know the love you put into baking is tasted and liked. Bravo for you!

alvarezmom Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 11

cakeaddiction-I did the same. I brought the cakes that I made to wk and by the 4th week ppl were lining up around 12 only to be disappointed---my cake classes had ended.

alvarezmom Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 11

tuffstuff-I just sent you a pm about one of your cakes..... Let me know

cakeaddiction Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

cakeaddiction-I did the same. I brought the cakes that I made to wk and by the 4th week ppl were lining up around 12 only to be disappointed---my cake classes had ended.

After the first cake so many people wanted some that when he took in the second one he had a list of people who had to wait because they got cake the first time. I could only imagine him standing over the cake with a pen and paper. Sad thing is he hasn't gotten any of the cakes hes taken, they go too fast, so I've had to make him ones at home just for him.

tuffstuff Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:12am
post #10 of 11

cakeaddiction, that's a funny mental picture. icon_biggrin.gif
I wish I could use my husband as a cake receptacle. Not only does he not like cake but he recently found out he's diabetic. :/
The dog on the other hand, is another story.

JenniferMI Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:22am
post #11 of 11

Bravo to you!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%