Buying Ei?

Decorating By Tita9499 Updated 16 May 2009 , 7:12pm by dhccster

Tita9499 Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 22

I need to get an edible image printed up. I have to put the names of 40 people on 2 scrolls for a graduation cake in June.

I don't have an edible image printer so I was wondering if there's a company that prints out edible images individually (if that makes sense).

Does anyone know? I think I should be ordering now as I need it for the 2nd week of June.

TIA!

21 replies
Carson Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 22

I take mine to my local grocery store (with bakery). They charge me $10 a sheet and will just print it off for me. You could try that...?

playingwithsugar Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 22

The TCBY stores near me will do them, too. The charged me $5 per sheet last time I went there, but that was 3 years ago.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Tita9499 Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 22

What the?

$10 a sheet? Is that $10 Canadian? LOL!

Playin': we don't have TCBY here (sad, because I actually like the yogurt)

marccrand Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 22

My local bakery charged $15/sheet back when they used to print them for me. Then came the day that they or any of the other grocery stores wouldn't do it was the day I bought my own printer!

sadsmile Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 22

my local bakery can only print out 2x2 inch squares or will blow up the image to a cake size 8" or 10" ect. Better check while there is still time to play.

Tita9499 Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 22

Aw poo! Don't tell me I'm gonna have to buy a stupid printer. I surely can't handwrite all of these names on an 8x10 sheet of wafer paper...or could I?

Tita9499 Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 22

Okay, hold the phone!

I just did a serach on Amazon for an "edible image printer" and an inkjet (regular old inkjet) was returned. Are you telling me that I can buy an inkjet printer and fill it with edible ink and I can make my own edbile images?

ThreeDGirlie Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 22

Yes, any old printer will work, as long as they make EI cartridges for it. thumbs_up.gif I don't have one, mind you, but I know the details just in case, someday...

So you have 4o names total? Why couldn't you just use food writers and hand write them on wafer paper or 50/50?

Tita9499 Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 22

I was thinking about doing that too, but I want it to look as professional (and symmetrical) as possible. I thought printing it would work better. I could just print it out on a nice font and put the wafer paper over it and trace it, huh?

Carson Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:25pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

What the?

$10 a sheet? Is that $10 Canadian? LOL!

Playin': we don't have TCBY here (sad, because I actually like the yogurt)

Yes, $10 Canadian for a 8x11 sheet. If I need smaller pics I just print off a page full of them and cut the pics out of the EI paper. So if I need 6 smallest pics I just put them on 1 sheet.

I think printing them would make them look more professional unless you have perfect icing handwriting - which I DO NOT!

Tita9499 Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:08pm
post #12 of 22

I'm definitely not going to pipe it, I'm going to use an edible marker, and I've been told quite a lot that I have very nice penmanship. I don't know if I want to stress out over it though.

ladij153 Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:19pm
post #13 of 22

I bought my Canon all in one for $99 plus shipping and then bought the edible ink cartridges from kopykake.com. check there for the brands of printers the EI carts will fit and then buy the printer accordingly. They also have frosting sheets available. Different from rice paper or wafer paper.

PhotoFrost Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:45am
post #14 of 22

For a cake, wafer paper aka rice paper is not the way to go any more. You really need a good quality icing sheet aka frosting sheet. I charge my customers $12.95 per quarter sheet, but I gaurantee nothing but ohhhs and ahhhs when it is done. 1 complaint in 2 years is not a bad reputation.
Yes you can use many different printers for edible prints, but do not settle on something tha is not of a good quality, do your research first. My best advise is to follow the link that I have provide and choose from those models. These print the best, have very good photo quality ( I mean you think you could take the icing sheet and put it in a frame when your done) and shop around for pricing, there is more than one manufacturer out there for edible inks and some have better pricing and higher quality. Either way best of luck and I am sure whatever you do will turn out great.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=SupplyModelCompatAct&modelid=11691

Tita9499 Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:55pm
post #15 of 22

Wow! Thanks for the info Andy.

Right now I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase of a whole set of edible imaging stuff. This is the first request I've had for anything that would require this and I've been doing this for a loooong time. I do thank you for taking the time to walk me through that and explaining it to me though. I'm a Bronx girl so I would've definitely gone the cheap route...you know bootleg it? LOL!

marccrand Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:57pm
post #16 of 22

Before you stress out too much over other alternatives, I would check and see if a bakery (or someone else here on CC who lives close by) would print it out for you! You still have time to look!

Tita9499 Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #17 of 22

You're right.

Lee15 Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:04pm
post #18 of 22

I don't have a printer since I don't get a lot of requests for EI. When I do, I take it to Baskin Robbins (ice cream store) or Walmart and they will print it for a fee. Walmart is cheaper to print.

mmdiez10 Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:32pm
post #19 of 22

Definitely try a bakery or supermarket that has a bakery. My local Publix Supermarket charges $8.00 for a sheet that is 8X10. I never thought of Baskin Robbins, but try that too. Good luck.

dhccster Posted 16 May 2009 , 11:32am
post #20 of 22

I hope you figured out how to get it done. Did you call your bakery?

I just got my printer a few months ago. I have my first order using it for a cake due tomorrow (Sunday). I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is OK to put the image on the cake the day before? Will it wrinkle? When is the best time to put it on? TIA.

PhotoFrost Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:43pm
post #21 of 22

I would wait until the last hour or 2 to put it on. That gives it enough time to merge, and make sure that it isnt refridgerated after you put it on, the moisture build up from the cold air will make your print bleed.

dhccster Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:12pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFrost

I would wait until the last hour or 2 to put it on. That gives it enough time to merge, and make sure that it isnt refridgerated after you put it on, the moisture build up from the cold air will make your print bleed.

Thank you. I will wait until tomorrow to put it on. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%