Does This Sound Suspicious????

Business By kellertur Updated 15 May 2009 , 4:15am by JCE62108

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 21

I received this email yesterday, not from my website contact but to my email. I've included my responsed and their last email. For some reason, my radar's up on this one and I've not given them any personal info about myself, last name etc just incase... what do you think? Am I being stupid? Did they see me on a veg website and I'm being paranoid or what?

(They may not speak english well, so pardon the grammar)

First one recieved:
Good Day
My Name is ****** i will like to make a wedding cake from your bakery and i will like to know how much it will cost for me because i will be using it for my wedding that is coming up on ****2009.i will really like to see some pictures of some cakes that you have make before and their prices,for me to know the suitable one for me.i will be looking to hear from you as soon as possible.

My response:
Hello ****,
I do have a website with some samples of my work. My prices begin at $(my price)/serving and up. Please let me know if I can help you any further.

Have a great day.

Today I received this:
okay but the cake is for 250 guest.i will really like to know the quote for that. i just want to make sure that i book for the cake down.select a very nice cake for me that you think will bring out your job very well and send the picture to my email.i will be looking to hear from you soon

I just sent this:
Hello ****,
I'm going to need some more info to give an accuate quote.
What type of icing: Buttercream? Fondant (rolled sugar)?
Where are you getting married? (delivery charge outside *******)
Are you looking for a specific "look"? Etc.

I can give you starting point based on 250 guests:
buttercream w/ basic decorations..... $ ***.00
fondant / fondant accents................. $ ***.00

I do offer a complimentary consultation/tasting for interested couples, if that helps. Please feel free to call me or email me your phone number so I can answer all your questions accuately.

I look forward to hearing from you.

------

I'd love to know your thoughts. I'm going to feel like jerk if this is a real inquiry...

Thanks icon_smile.gif

20 replies
aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 21

Beware of this. There was another post not long ago from someone that this happened to. I think she said that they paid for the cake with a money order/cashier's check but it was for more than the price of the cake. They wanted her to send the difference via Western Union to somewhere because "they made a mistake" by sending the extra money.

Long story short - it turned out to be a scam. The money order/cashier's check was a fake and she would've been responsible for the entire amount had she cashed it.

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 21

This smacks of the "Happy Marriage" guy! Beware.

aggiechef Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 21

I wish I could find that other thread because I'd post the link in here for you. No luck finding so far, but I'm still searching.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 21

There was another thread with something strangely familiar in the email and it was a scam...

Chances are the next email will say that they cant pick it up but will send you a check and that a courier will pick it up, then the check will be for double the amount and they will ask you to cash it and if you could wire the difference back to the " caterer" or someone else and you will be out the full amount for the check.

I would delete the email and lock the sender. This stinks to high heaven of scam all over it!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 21

Yes....the grammar and misspellings are atrocious...IMMEDIATE red flags!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 21

Guaranteed scam...guaranteed! icon_sad.gif

aggiechef Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 21

Okay, I found the thread. I knew if I looked long enough, I'd find it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-630274.html

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 21

Someone tried to scam me with the Western Union thing too! They send you more than you are asking in hopes that you cash it and send them back money....money that they never really had attached to the western union inthe first place! I was very suspicious and as soon as I started asking questions like name, number they can be reached , etc....I never heard from them again....If I were you, I would ask for a contact number for her and say you would like to call to discuss the cake she is looking for.
Be careful! icon_smile.gif

kellertur Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 21

You've made me feel better... my last email did ask for a phone number to discuss the order. I don't do "blind" orders, at all. I'm also glad I only take cash and checks (in person) right now... I guess my intuition is there for a reason. icon_rolleyes.gif

Honestly, I really don't have time to waste on pseudo-orders... this kind of pi$$ed me off... thumbsdown.gif If I "DO" get a check, etc. it's going right back where it came from... or in the trash.

I'm glad CC's around to ask these questions to. Thanks to everyone on this site!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:09pm
post #11 of 21

Here is another post...similar situation...just beware of people who are too "easy" to please and sending you more than you asked...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6299912.html#6299912

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #12 of 21

Tell them you need a non-refundable deposit to reserve the date. That should scare them off if it is a scam icon_smile.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:15pm
post #13 of 21

I am 150% sure it's a scam:

1. The language is sufficiently incorrect in general
2. "I need a wedding cake to use"...
3. A million etc...

See previous posts on this subject.

In the future peoples... do NOT reply. You add yourself to the pool of "live" email addresses. Scammers who don't make money by getting Western Unions make up the money by selling lists of "live" email addresses to the next scammers.

Trust me, please. Just delete these things and you will save yourself from getting more like it, about your cakes down the road, and more....

Someone needs to sticky a warning about these types of emails with examples of things to look for. Heath or Jackie or Mod? This would save our decorators some trouble....

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 21

That doesn't sound right at all, I wouldn't trust them.I think the deposit idea is a good one to scare them off.

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:13pm
post #15 of 21

I didn't know that they made a list from emailing them back. Crap!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:27pm
post #16 of 21

Just for starters, any time someone offers you a check for more than the amount beware. Whether it be a personal check or whatever. When I was 16 I worked for a convience store. A kid that I knew came in and asked me if I could cash a check for him. I told him that the store policy was only if it was my check would they do it. So being very naive I let him write the check out to me and he gave me $20 for doing it. Well he came in like once a week for about a month. It never occured to me that something was wrong until I got a phone call from a woman screaming at me that I was going to go to jail for stealing her checks and that I was very stupid to put my name on them. So after I calmed her down and told her I didnt understand we figured out that her step-son had stole the checks from her (the guy I knew). Ofcourse it didnt matter to her and she called the police. So a few days later I get a visit from a police officer and luckily because I had no idea what I did, I didnt do any jail time or anything because I gave him my full cooperation. Apparently he had stolen other things and they wanted to nail him. So my boss said the bank came after him for the money so guess who got stuck working for free until it was paid off? Yah, crappy way to be taught a lesson not to trust people. He did jail time for three months but ofcourse he never had to pay ME back for what he did. So the lesson with this long ramble? Cover your Asfault!!

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:35pm
post #17 of 21

It's a scam..... there are so many of these out there. I continue to be amazed at how often people continue to get ripped off with these. RUN!!!!

kellertur Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:23am
post #18 of 21

Actually, they haven't offered a check for more than the amount, but that's where the emails were headed. I'm not too worried about them "selling" my email, because like with this I'm not very trusting of unknown email addresses and I'd never send my personal info to a stranger.... good to know though.

So this is the reply I got: (ofcourse, right? icon_rolleyes.gif )
okay, i think i will be more interested in the $750 cake and i dont have a specific look but just want a nice cake and a better one.i have my own shipping agent,they will come and pick the cake up for me and get it delivered to my address.my husband to be will be sending a check on my behalf and i will really much like to know
name on check.......
address.............
zipcode.................
phone number............
i will be looking to hear from you soon as possible
--------

Notice they didn't answer MY request for info... for me, that's the biggest RED FLAG of all.

Here's my final email (just because I felt like sticking it to them):
Ok, check these out and see if you still want to go through with this "order".

http://caketalk.typepad.com/caketalk/2008/08/wedding-cake-scam.html

http://forums.worldpastryforum.com/profiles/blogs/cake-scam

If you still want the cake, $350.00 non-refundable deposit. The delivery charge will be astronomical....since it's out of state, possibly the country.
Have a great day.

-------------------------

I'd love to see the look on their face. People with no conscience... who needs them? thumbsdown.gif

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:04am
post #19 of 21

Haha! Glad to see you have a good sense of humor about it icon_smile.gif I would LOVE to see their face, lol!

s_barnes76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_barnes76 Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:57am
post #20 of 21

I was going to suggest not even mentioning an outrageous non-refundable deposit...they may not be turned off by it. It's best to just ignore them. The reason I say this is because I have a relative who got the old "You've won $25,000 in the lottery" emails. They wanted $4000 up front to pay the taxes and then they would receive a check for the balance. She had actually played the lottery in another state and fell (or almost fell) for this scam. I was stunned...I didn't realize people actually fell for that crap. She gave them her phone number and they called every day with a different story. After hearing me (and others) practically scream at her that it was fake, they decided to try and throw them off. When they called, her husband got on the phone and told them they had the money and they could come to his house to deliver the check (he didn't actually give their address) That didn't phase them at all. They tried to set up a time to actually meet them. He finally told them he would be calling the police and they haven't called back since. Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to put the info out there. I hate for honest people to get suckered by low-life crooks.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:15am
post #21 of 21

I agree I would just ignore them. I wouldnt give them the time of day. I do believe this is a scam also. Its pretty obvious. I had a ton of that crap sent to me a few years ago when I put an ad on craigslist for a roommate. Actually when I put anything on craigslist I get the exact same type emails. Always weird, bad grammer and they are always "away on business", "going to school in europe", etc, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%