Storing A Cake Overnight

Decorating By jennabell441 Updated 14 May 2009 , 11:30pm by indydebi

jennabell441 Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 9

I have a super silly question. I am making an odd sized cake that is due tomorrow and was wondering if I could refrigerate the cake overnight uncovered. Normally I leave my cakes out overnight in a box but this is such an odd size.
Thanks in advance...
Jen

8 replies
bashini Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 9

Hi, have you used a filling that need to be refrigeratored? If not, I wouldn't put it in the fridge. I never put a single cake in the fridge. If its not iced and decorated, wrap it in saran wrap and leave it on the table. icon_smile.gif

jennabell441 Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for responding bashini. I am carving a doctor bag cake with fondant accents. I am planning on putting the accents on tomorrow morning if refrigerating or this evening if I am leaving it out. I don't have to refrigerate because of the filling. I can't find a box around here that will cover it good. Any suggestions?
Jen

bashini Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 9

Jen, have you covered it with fondant or bc? If you have covered it in bc, its ok to put it in the fidge as you don't have a box. Some decorators put their fondant covered cakes in the fridge. After taking it out of the fridge leave it to dry compltely. Don't touch it! icon_smile.gif

jennabell441 Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 9

OK. That's what I was wondering. It is covered in bc and has fondant accents...handle, edges, etc. Thanks so much for your help bashini.

bashini Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 9

That's ok, Jen. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennabell441

Normally I leave my cakes out overnight in a box but this is such an odd size.

I'm confused on what the size/shape of the cake has to do with whether you leave it out or not? icon_lol.gif

jennabell441 Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 9

I don't have a box tall enough to leave it out. The tallest box I could find was 5" tall. The cake I made is 8" tall. I came up with a solution though. I took the top off of a regular cake box and taped thin foam core around the edges and covered with saran wrap. It's ugly but it will keep dust or whatever off of the cake. Maybe I should have gone to Wal Mart to look for a packing box, but oh well...too late. Yea, I'm a dork. I can admit it. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 9

oh, it was a box issue! NOW it makes sense! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%