What Kind Of Picks For Cupcake Toppers?

Baking By Skyebaby Updated 14 May 2009 , 10:05pm by Skyebaby

Skyebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skyebaby Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making cupcakes for my baby's first bday next week and I will be doing a simple swirl icing on top. I've paper-punched all of thse lovely ornate paper butterlflies to use as toppers but I'm wondering how to affix them to a pick of some sort, and what kind to use.

Are toothpicks okay? Should I get long ones? Are thier non-sharp alternatives (there will be kids there obviously)? Should gluing the butterflies right to the pick work or will I need double-sided butterflies so hide the glued side?

5 replies
kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 6

How about using clear plastic straws. You can cut them to the size you need, and they are safer than picks for little ones. Hope this helps.

Skyebaby Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 6

That sounds like a good idea! Now I need to figure out how to affix the butterfly to them.............

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 6

What about using wilton's lollipop sticks and piping a little bit of royal icing or melted white chocolate on each one and allowing it to sit overnight. You can insert the next day. The straw would work as well, but I just worry about the icing not holding as well to the plastic.

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyebaby

That sounds like a good idea! Now I need to figure out how to affix the butterfly to them.............

Since you are using paper butterflies, you can attach them with pre-made glue dots. They make one that will hold your butterflies to just about anything. I use them instead of a glue gun for making cupcake wrappers because I don't want the glue strings all over. They come in a couple of size dots and also lines.

Skyebaby Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyebaby

Since you are using paper butterflies, you can attach them with pre-made glue dots. They make one that will hold your butterflies to just about anything. I use them instead of a glue gun for making cupcake wrappers because I don't want the glue strings all over. They come in a couple of size dots and also lines.

Perfect! Thank you for thinking for me lol. This bit really tripped me up for awhile. So glue dots and clear straws icon_smile.gif Yay!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%