What Is The Best Way To Make Black Fondant?

Decorating By drdm99 Updated 15 May 2009 , 3:16am by drdm99

drdm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drdm99 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 12

I use americolor food colors, and wanted to know what is the best way to achieve black fondant without using the whole bottle! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 12

Buy black fondant--you can purchase it already colored.

But also I've used marzipan for black because marzipan takes color brilliantly. Works similar to fondant.

But if you add enough black to make it black and especially if it's a large quantity you gotta add some powdered sugar or cornstarch to balance out the extra moisture from the color. I use cornstarch.

Wear tight plastic gloves to avoid black hands.

or

Dip hands in a solution of polident denture tablet dissolved in water before and after kneading to remove color from hands.

oneyracing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneyracing Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 12

i use the true black mmf recipe on this site...

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 12

seriously it is easiest to just buy it premade....it is a little pricey but well worth it. IF you are dead set on making it...I would first suggest a good pair of gloves, or you will be black/purple for weeks! I usually try and start with a brown base first,( I have used dark chocolate satin icein the past, and go from there). From my experience making it you have to use a TON of paste and then it gets so gummy and sticky! I have also airbrushed it once the fondant is on the cake which is the easiest...Hope this helps

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 12

I generally make all my colors with the exception of black fondant. To me it is worth the extra money to have it already for me to go. If it is too late for that or you are not interested, try making chocolate fondant and then adding the black coloring. That way it won't take as much.

drdm99 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 12

Thank you for the quick responses. I only have white and brown fondant in the house and don't have a local supplier to run out and get the black. What I really appreciate is the polident tip. I am always running around with funky colored hands since I don't like wearing gloves.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 12

I make mmf and use the wilton black. When I add the melted mm to the KA mixer I add 2/3 of the container of black and then add the confec sugar and let the machine knead it until all incorporated. I knead it a little before setting it in the bag for the overnight set. I do the same thing with red. I just got tired of trying to add it after I had already made the fondant. The color is rich and even this way.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 12

I make mmf and use the wilton black. When I add the melted mm to the KA mixer I add 2/3 of the container of black and then add the confec sugar and let the machine knead it until all incorporated. I knead it a little before setting it in the bag for the overnight set. I do the same thing with red. I just got tired of trying to add it after I had already made the fondant. The color is rich and even this way.

Frecklepuss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklepuss Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 12

I have found that depending on how much black fondant you need just adding black food colouring works well.

I was taught by my instructor to grease my hands with shortening first to prevent the transfer of the colour to my hands. It has always worked!!

I do definately agree with the others though ... if you need a lot of black buy the one that is already black!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 12

I agree with smooney....if you only need a little make your own....I start with the chocolate fondant (it's usually at your local cake supply store where the true black you usually have to send for.) anyways.... I added black from there...came out pretty dark.....

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #11 of 12

I just made black MMF using Jayde's recipe from this site (I don't know if it's the same recipe mentioned above.) I also used chocolate marshmallows. It was remarkably easy. I would have purchased pre-made if it was available locally for less than $18 but this worked out great so I am happy. Don't ask me why, but I made it last night and my hands are totally not stained! It could be because the gel paste is worked in with the liquids, before your hands get involved...so by the time I started kneading most of the color had clung to the PS instead.

One caveat: I haven't put it on the cake yet, so I cannot vouch for its performance (or taste)...but I wanted to chime in on the MAKING it part. I was dreading making it but once I got over having to put so much paste (1-2 tsp) into it, the rest was smooth sailing.

drdm99 Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:16am
post #12 of 12

I was making a small skyline so I only needed a small amount (a lot of black icing on anything grosses me out) I started with the chocolate fondant and it was easy to get to black from there. Thanks for all of the advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%