New Cake Order.....and Scared!!

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 14 May 2009 , 6:39pm by Rhonda19

Rhonda19 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!

I am excited and scared at the same time. I got a cake order!! I have only done a few for the public...mostly I have done for family and friends.

It's just a grooms cake, and the bride only wants a sheet cake for 50 people...so I am pretty confident I can do that one. ...The scary part is two fold... the groom works for an electric company and she wants something with a lineman or light poles on it. The other thing is a friend is going to pick it up and carry it 5 hours to the wedding.

Does anyone have any ideas??? I am blank on this one. Any ideas would be helpful!!
Thanks
Rhonda

5 replies
brincess_b Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 6

and theres the legal issue to, are you a legal bakery? just cause, not all venues accept cakes from unlicensed cakes. so if you are not legal, you/ bride need to check that out.
you need a solid contract, and something to say that once the cake is out your door, it is not your responsibility. 5 hours is a long time.
who is making the wedding cake? a lot of people have a no other cakes rule, so that you would be the only baker. if the other cake isnt up to standard, it will still be asociated with your name.

cake wise, i personally wouldnt be messing with trying to get actual working lights, but you could. kinda tricky for a sheet cake, my ideas are more tiered cake. and im not even sure im on the right line, thinking of lamp posts!
xx

Rhonda19 Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

and theres the legal issue to, are you a legal bakery? just cause, not all venues accept cakes from unlicensed cakes. so if you are not legal, you/ bride need to check that out.
you need a solid contract, and something to say that once the cake is out your door, it is not your responsibility. 5 hours is a long time.
who is making the wedding cake? a lot of people have a no other cakes rule, so that you would be the only baker. if the other cake isnt up to standard, it will still be asociated with your name.

cake wise, i personally wouldnt be messing with trying to get actual working lights, but you could. kinda tricky for a sheet cake, my ideas are more tiered cake. and im not even sure im on the right line, thinking of lamp posts!
xx

You are not on the right line. He is a lineman for an electric company

brincess_b Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 6

lol, in that case i definately have no ideas! at least it will be an individual cake!
xx

Shelly4481 Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 6

I would look up and try to find a coloring page for an electric theme and do a fbct. Five hours is a long way to ride in the car and being flat it should travel well, on the sides you could do electric poles with wires. Keep the cake cold till they pick it up. Cold cakes travel better. Good luck

Rhonda19 Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly4481

I would look up and try to find a coloring page for an electric theme and do a fbct. Five hours is a long way to ride in the car and being flat it should travel well, on the sides you could do electric poles with wires. Keep the cake cold till they pick it up. Cold cakes travel better. Good luck

Thank you Shelly... I appreciate the answer as well as the support. But based on what " brincess_b" said in her posts, I decided to turn down the order. I have to call the girl first.

Thanks anyway

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%