How To Make A 3D Sombrero Or 3D Pinata Cake

Decorating By ness-p Updated 14 May 2009 , 9:19am by dwholmes7

ness-p Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:47am
post #1 of 2

Hi guys,
i was wondering if you had any tips or maybe a tutorial on how to make a 3d sombrero cake or a 3d pinata cake.

if its possible for the sombrero cake, can you please tell me what size you used and any carving techniques?

and the pinata cake what support systems do you recommend?

thank you soooooo much in advance!!

im looking forward to your responses thumbs_up.gif

1 reply
dwholmes7 Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:19am
post #2 of 2

Yeah! My first post. Hi ness-p! I have been looking forward to being able to respond to someone's question. there are so many talented people on this site and i am always the one searching forums looking for answers to all of my questions. i just recently made a pinata cake for my dd 1st bday party witha fiesta theme. i got my inspiration from another cc member. just look up pinata cake in the gallery section. for the life of me i can't remember or find the link to the tutorial, but i was so glad i could remeber bits of it when it came time to make the cake. i started with the legs using 1/2 inch dowel rods cut to equal lengths and screwed into a plywood board (probably overkill, but was very sturdy). i then used the pampered chef measuring cup (the 1 that has 1 side for liquid, 1 for dry) without the cup. i stuffed it with rkt, make sure you pack it in real good or else it will fall apart when you insert them onto the dowels. there was probably a much easier way of doing this, but like i said i lost the tutorial and was going on memory icon_smile.gif you can use the cup to measure the correct length for the dowels. i then put a dab of RI on each leg to secure the body which was 2 - 9x13's on cardboard. i iced the legs before i added the body. it was a really tight work space already & there was no way i could've done it otherwise. i carved the head out of styrofoam and attached with 2 dowels. I used waffle cones for the ears and iced the cake with tip# 47. used curling ribbon attached to skewer for the tail. i hope this helps. i will try to attach a picture of the cake. i do not have the confidence yet to post any pics. i usually just make cakes for my family for free!!!! no pressure involved!! icon_smile.gif feel free to message me.
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%