First Fondant Cookie,help...............

Baking By abed Updated 16 May 2009 , 12:19pm by indydebi

abed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abed Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:21am
post #1 of 9

I'm doing my first wedding cookie with fondant on top, do I put buttercream under it?? Or water??? Help please. thanks.

8 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:06am
post #2 of 9

I did my first fondant cookies for my mother's day order (in my pics)...I had great success placing a cutout of fondant directly onto the warm/hot cookie from the oven, and let the cool together. No water, no icing!!

Good luck icon_smile.gif

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:07am
post #3 of 9

I can never quite mange to bake and lay the fondant on the cookies while they are warm. So here are a couple of things that I think makes working with fondant easier. I went to JoAnns and got a yard of heavy clear vinyl (12 gauge) and cut it into 12 inch squares. I grease the square with Crisco, wipe it off with a paper napkin, put some fondant on it, dust the fondant with a little corn starch, and roll the fondant with a silicone rolling pin. I cut out the fondant, using the same cutter I used to cut out the cookie. I let the cutouts sit for maybe 10 or 15 minutes, using that time mostly to roll out and cut some more. I find that leaving it sit helps with the handling, it dries a bit and is more manageable. The small vinyl square lets you peel the fondant off, like a label, it doesn't distort quite as much. I don't do very many cookies at a time, maybe a dozen or so before I start the process over.

I use thinned Karo syrup (ratio: 2-3 parts water to 1 part Karo) to adhere the fondant to the cookie. I brush it on with a fairly good size artist brush. This adheres the fondant to the cookie nicely. HTH

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:27am
post #4 of 9

When my cookies are in the oven, I cut out the required amout of fondant needed to cover them.

When I pull the cookies out of the oven and place them on the rack to cool I lay the fondant on the cookies then.

It still warm enough to slightly melt the fondant which adheres to the cookie on it's own.

HTH Miss Lizzy

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:37am
post #5 of 9

I would love to try this, do you use any kind of fondant? Will MFF work?

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:04pm
post #6 of 9

I use Michele Fosters Fondant. Love it, love it, love it

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 9

I just use piping gel to affix the fondant to the cookie.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 11:41am
post #8 of 9

Check this thread, same questions with several answers.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-630249.html

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:19pm
post #9 of 9

I cut the fondant pieces ahead of time and lay them right on the cookie as soon as they come out of the oven.

I made 3 Mother's Day 6-cookie bouquets in one hour doing this ... mixing, baking, laying fondant, and clean up. Super fast ... super easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%