Horrible Day.....can't Wait For Tomorrow

Decorating By Cyndi1207 Updated 15 May 2009 , 12:28am by chassidyg

Cyndi1207 Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:01am
post #1 of 9

Well, I use to be on here a whole lot more but since I opened my shop in January it has without surprise consumed my life (this is not a complaint). I need to post pics of my new shop because I'm in love with it........but we'll do that later. Back to my horrible day.........My husband installed my new computer today and when I went to go turn on the oven I guess it sent a charge of electricity through the place that blew the fuse. Well, it didn't just blow the fuse but it caused a power outage in the neighborhood behind my shop and caused a small fire in the backyard of a house thats two lots behind my shop. That main box was on the electric pole in their backyard and it sents sparks that caught onto to their dry grass (was about 100 degrees today here). So we were out of electricity for over 3 hours with 2 cake orders due tomorrow and 5 more on friday.......11 on Saturday..........OMG can you imagine not only the guilt, embarassment, worry, tears and so on that I must have gone through. It was horrible. I wonder if the firemen or the electricians told the neighbors........"Oh, it's all because of that new cake shop on the corner.....you can go thank them".....ugghhhh icon_cry.gif . So it finally came back on after one of my assistants and I were all drenched in sweat and delirious almost. I was able to bake and cover everything for tomorrow but have to go in extra early to decorate. I'm so glad the day is over. Oh my other assistant called to check in on us and expresses how thankful he was he had the day off......that little tapedshut.gif

8 replies
Cyndi1207 Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 9

Hmmm........I read this back and realize how unreal it sounds. I wish this was the case. I'm just glad that this was yesterday and hope that when I turn my oven on this morning that everything will work fine. I'm not going to turn on the new computer until my electrician comes and wires me to obtain more electric juice flow. So nervous. We were so excited to have the new addition to the shop thinking that it would make life easier but it didn't start out so great. Some day icon_smile.gif

JGMB Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 9

Oh, I'm so sorry for all your troubles!!! Things WILL get better -- keep your chin up!

Alice1230 Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:17pm
post #4 of 9

Well when I read the topic I thought to myself....how could you have had a bad day already?!?!?!?! But you ARE right! Sorry about what happened. WHat the heck kind of computer did your husband set up for you?!?! Hope you have a better day!

grama_j Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 9

I 'm soooo sorry for your awful day ! Also, I hope you have an electritian go over your ENTIRE electric grid, and find the REAL problem....

CCCTina Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 9

Oh goodness. Luckily there were no indoor fires and no one was hurt. If you don't have them already, invest in some good quality surge protectors rated for applianeces . Through thunderstorms and electrical oddities, we have lost 2 TVs and phone/answering maching, and had a washing machine hit in the past 5 years. My grandfather actually had lightning hit his house, come out through his coffee maker which pushed it across the counter and started a fire. Thankfully he was in the kitchen at the time. Needless to say, we have properly rated surge protectors on just about everything in our house now. I don't have a shop, but I am assuming at least for your computers, mixers, etc, you should be able to protect them.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 9

Wow Thank God that no one was hurt. That must be one powerful computer. I hope that everything goes better for you tomorrow!!!!

Cyndi1207 Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:08am
post #8 of 9

Well we rented an old house that is now our cities business district. Almost all the shops down the strip are old homes. The wiring isn't exactly tip top and you would think that the landlord would fix that problem.........well.......all he really cares about is rent. So I've paid for a lot of the improvements made to the property including now the wiring. Next installation because the heat is really killing us. It blows because you want to have a nice shop that helps your business but you put so much money into something that's not yours. I'm sure the next person that comes along will have to pay a lot more rent than me because of all the improvements. There were no fires today thank goodness for that and thanks for feeling my pain. I came home after all this and my kids and husband were like......"what's for dinner?" ............I think I must have passed out there for a second.

chassidyg Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:28am
post #9 of 9

I woulda said Burger King icon_wink.gif Glad today was a better for you, sorry for your sucky day yesterday! Are you able to deduct somethings from your rent? He should be paying for electrical work and such. Maybe not the air, but most upkeep he should be doing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%