Orange Dreamsicle Cake - So Confused!!

Decorating By batter_up Updated 20 May 2009 , 2:12am by sandykay

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:30am
post #31 of 56

I agree....bourbon pecan sounds yummy! I would use that coffee in the Turtle cake.....Dark choco. cake w/ the special coffee and then fudge & caramel pecan filling....now I am drooling! Where did you get the bourbon pecan coffee?

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:51am
post #32 of 56

battter-up

I will be looking forward to hearing about your filling and frosting and here is a link that will show you what the Viva method is. This is a tutorial by Edna on Youtube (her tutorials are wonderful) and the Viva paper towel is towards the end of the little video. Just make sure that your buttercream is the crusting kind and that is has started to crust before you use the paper towel. It is a great method and I always use it with my crusting buttercream which is always Indydebi's recipe.

And there is a lot of information on here about "Bettercreme". Do a search and you will come up with a ton of stuff about it. I have used it only two times and I liked it. It is not that easy to find but when you do a search there will be lots of info on where you might find it - Sam's Club is one of them.

I hope this is of some help to you.

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:02pm
post #33 of 56

batter-up
That version of the WASC chocolate is also another of my secret recipes!! Everyone raves over it. A coworker was licking the crumbs off the table last week at work. It was too funny. I only had 1 package of instant pudding and had used Duncan Hines. I am Canadian and I don't know if our boxed mixes are different but so far DH or BC both seem to work fine. Coffee can easily go in cold. I added extra Hersheys chocolate syrup as I didn't have that Massey's one. It was sooo yummy.
Good luck and remember bake at 325!!
mmmmm.bourbon peacn...I wish I had that coffee right now

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:57pm
post #34 of 56

Glad to see that you got what you were looking for. Your cake looks so delicious!

batter_up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
batter_up Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:42pm
post #35 of 56

Here is where you can buy the most crazy wonderful bourbon pecan coffee. The aroma is so strong and delectable you could practically get a buzz from it lol! Seriously delish!

http://www.ptscoffee.com/store/product_detail.php?c=15&s=53002

I used to be able to get it at their coffee shop but Starbuck's notoriety must've edged 'em outta the neighborhood. Terrible loss, but yeah you can buy it online and thank me later ha ha! Soooooo good my brother is the one who actually introduced it to me. He works for Sprint and every morning some guy he didn't know would be carrying a cup of it down the hallway and my brother would be following the aroma. We all know that guys don't like to ask any questions (unlike us girls...hey where'd you get that cute top? Um, thanks, got it at Bebe...) so you will all understand it when I tell you he followed the guy until the guy ditched his cup in the trash and then he dug it out of the trashcan to see where it came from! I know....disgusting!! icon_lol.gif

batter_up Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:47pm
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

Glad to see that you got what you were looking for. Your cake looks so delicious!

Thank you, I plan to take a pic after I ice it for you all... Won't be as pro as most of you on here. I'm pretty new at this. Plus I am making two cakes along with a ton of other food so I don't have a lot of time to spend on icing. But it is going to be so yummy! I saved just under half of the part I cut off ( yes, I ate most of it lol ) for my hubby to try and he absolutely loved it and asked if that was all he got.

batter_up Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:50pm
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

battter-up

I will be looking forward to hearing about your filling and frosting and here is a link that will show you what the Viva method is. This is a tutorial by Edna on Youtube (her tutorials are wonderful) and the Viva paper towel is towards the end of the little video. Just make sure that your buttercream is the crusting kind and that is has started to crust before you use the paper towel. It is a great method and I always use it with my crusting buttercream which is always Indydebi's recipe.

And there is a lot of information on here about "Bettercreme". Do a search and you will come up with a ton of stuff about it. I have used it only two times and I liked it. It is not that easy to find but when you do a search there will be lots of info on where you might find it - Sam's Club is one of them.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Thank you! Great tutorial. I don't have all those wonderful tools! So, mine isn't going to be as pretty but I will do the best I can. I'll be gettin' some Viva today.

Let me get this straight. Is the crusting buttercream the one you use to "crumbcoat" and then you use a different one to do the final coat?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:51pm
post #38 of 56

batter_up, that orange layer looks perfect!

batter_up Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:00pm
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

batter_up, that orange layer looks perfect!

Thank you so much, I feel even better if it stands up to all of your critiques, since I really have no idea of what I'm doing lol!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #40 of 56

I've never made that one before. I just enlarged the photo and seen the sides...I thought they were beautiful.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:24pm
post #41 of 56

I didn't know this thread existed!

The reason there are two recipes is because the first one (the one that I submitted to the recipe section here on CC) is one I adapted from the Cake Mix Doctor - an ice-cream cake - when I needed orange cake but couldn't find DH.

Later, I had been experimenting with recipes looking for the perfect one for carving and flavor when I found WASC. I adapted the orange cake to WASC because the original version had too moist of a crumb for carving.

Any time you use melted ice-cream to replace the liquid the batter is going to be thick and the cake will be sticky due to the extra sugar and the density of ice-cream vs water.

I'm glad to have found this thread and read that it has worked for you! I think I need to lower my oven rack, too, and I iwll try baking my large cakes at 300 then bumping it to 325 to see if that helps my cakes bake better. They've been fine, but nothing is wrong is better!

batter_up Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:24pm
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I didn't know this thread existed!

The reason there are two recipes is because the first one (the one that I submitted to the recipe section here on CC) is one I adapted from the Cake Mix Doctor - an ice-cream cake - when I needed orange cake but couldn't find DH.

Later, I had been experimenting with recipes looking for the perfect one for carving and flavor when I found WASC. I adapted the orange cake to WASC because the original version had too moist of a crumb for carving.

Any time you use melted ice-cream to replace the liquid the batter is going to be thick and the cake will be sticky due to the extra sugar and the density of ice-cream vs water.

I'm glad to have found this thread and read that it has worked for you! I think I need to lower my oven rack, too, and I iwll try baking my large cakes at 300 then bumping it to 325 to see if that helps my cakes bake better. They've been fine, but nothing is wrong is better!

We are having so much fun discussing your yummy cake (especially me since I finally made a beautiful tasty cake...kudos to you). Seems to be a pretty popular cake and I know I will be making it again for sure!

I used the orange sherbet but mine didn't turn out sticky at all just nice and moist! Probably the different weather conditions, difference in ovens, our different cooking temps and times etc. all make a difference.

I read that 300 then 325 temp bumping on the notes for the original WASC I believe, so I can't take any credit for it. All I can say is that it worked for me and I am so pleased at all the help and encouragement here on this board. icon_smile.gif

Have you tried doing a chocolate cake with chocolate ice cream like the method for this one? Just curious if it works?

batter_up Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:26pm
post #43 of 56

Also, ladies, I am looking for a good chocolate frosting for the chocolate cake I'm going to make. Can anyone put out a link?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by batter_up

Have you tried doing a chocolate cake with chocolate ice cream like the method for this one? Just curious if it works?

Yes! It does work fine. Any ice-cream flavor will work.

I just made a pistachio one with pistachio pudding mix added, but it does need extra pistachio flavoring--I could've sworn I had some LoRann pistachio but when I went to add it to the batter I realized I was wrong! icon_sad.gif

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 15 May 2009 , 7:29pm
post #45 of 56

MacsMom,
Now that you are on this post I have to thank you personally for all your hard work on CC. If you read my posts earlier in this forum you would know that I had mentioned the enourmous success of my cake flavours. People love them and often ask for the recipes. I say " Sorry Top Secret". As long as they never find you I'm safe!!! Cheers and Thanks!!
Sam in Ontario Canada

Peridot Posted 15 May 2009 , 7:34pm
post #46 of 56

batter-up

You use the same frosting for your crumb coat as for the final buttercream layer/coat whatever you want to call it.

Just remember that you can only use the Viva method with a crusting buttercream!

Peridot Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:04am
post #47 of 56

batter-up,

When I got home tonight I looked up the thread that tells you all about "Bettercreme"
here it is - happy reading....

http://cakecentral.com/modules.....c&&start=0

batter_up Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:25pm
post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

batter-up,

When I got home tonight I looked up the thread that tells you all about "Bettercreme"
here it is - happy reading....

http://cakecentral.com/modules.....c&&start=0

Oops! That link wouldn't work when I tried it so I am going to try Indydeb's crusting buttercream. Funny when I went to the store I hadn't written down the ingredients but just remembered that it called for Dream Whip. So, not wanting to not have enough I bought 3 of the largest boxes lol, it calls for 3 TBSPs!

I will try the bettercreme another time though. I looked for it at the grocery store and at Michael's but didn't see it. I am guessing you have to get it at a confectioner's supply shop or online or I think someone may have said Sams.

icon_smile.gif

batter_up Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:31pm
post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam22

batter-up
That version of the WASC chocolate is also another of my secret recipes!! Everyone raves over it. A coworker was licking the crumbs off the table last week at work. It was too funny. I only had 1 package of instant pudding and had used Duncan Hines. I am Canadian and I don't know if our boxed mixes are different but so far DH or BC both seem to work fine. Coffee can easily go in cold. I added extra Hersheys chocolate syrup as I didn't have that Massey's one. It was sooo yummy.
Good luck and remember bake at 325!!
mmmmm.bourbon peacn...I wish I had that coffee right now

Thanks everyone for all the tips!
I made the chocolate cake last night and I used my bourbon pecan coffee, and instead of all chocolate milk I used half Bailey's. I also used a couple of TBSP's Hershey's syrup since I too, was unable to find the chocolate extract.
It tastes heavenly!
I did encounter a little problem though on the first layer. I accidentally overdid it--just a bit but the edge is a little too crusty. Any ideas on what I should do? Should I just cut it off as evenly as possible probably and then hide it all with frosting?
Other than that the rest of it is very nice and moist. I don't think it is AS moist as the orange dreamsicle cake but still very nice. I want to try the chocolate cake using an ice cream next time. I bet that would be superb!
I bought myself one of those nice icing spreaders so I don't make a mess out of my pretty cakes!

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:42pm
post #50 of 56

I'm so happy this cake turned out well for you. I tried the recipe recently, let it bake a little over an hour, and it was an icky, sticky mess. It looked good when I took it out of the oven and let the layers cool, even when I stacked it. After I decorated it and cut it, had to throw the whole thing out. The flavor was good, but the texture wasn't.

I'm sticking to scratch cakes from here on out as I've not had luck with the doctored cake mixes except for the chocolate WASC. I checked out the Cake Doctor book from the library and tried the banana cake and the devils food cake this past week. The chocolate one was okay but not as good as WASC IMHO.

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:20pm
post #51 of 56

batter_up

I know this may be coming in a little late, but here is an awesome chocolate frosting recipe.

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2033-Chocolate-Syrup-Frosting.html

Instead of using regular chocolate syrup, I used Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate. It was Devine!!! It doesn't crust as much as a regular buttercream would, but it frosts, smooths and decorates great!

batter_up Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:56am
post #52 of 56

Graduation has come and gone and after all that work I did nothing today but lay in bed and catch up on missed episodes of Desperate Housewives! I feel so lazy but if you even knew my day yesterday....it was so crazy.

Both the orange dreamsicle and the chocolate cake were iced in the morning. I had no idea how I was going to design them and they just sort of "happened". Neither was ornately or perfectly decorated due to time constraints.

The orange dreamsicle cake was decorated with the exact shade of orange icing of a dream bar. I ended up putting a jello/dream whip mixture in the center instead of the bavarian cream because my homemade bavarian cream didn't turn out very well. I will not use either of those again on this cake and maybe I would try the premade Bavarian creme. The cake had happy little flowers all over it and said "Follow Your Dreams" on two different sides, along with Congrats on the top. I finished it with large crystal sugar sparkles.

The chocolate cake was the real Pièce de résistance! It was a torte style. I covered part of the top with white and dark chocolate strawberries, chocolate lattice fans and curly q's and some white icing detail work. The base alternated white and dark chocolate strawberries. I wish you could see the red strawberries in the picture and how the true colors looked together. icon_sad.gif

Both tasted fabulous but the chocolate was preferred by most everyone. At the moment I am not too happy with my DH since he did not take the pictures that I asked for AND used our camera with no flash- thus the poor quality. I was far too busy and was unable to do it. So, I have no individual pictures...and the ones I do, do them no justice. I so wanted to share my success with the VIVA and Melvira method. I also used a hot icing spatula first. I didn't have the proper tools (not even a cake scraper) but I made do with what I could round up. Believe me when I say I was very inventive!! Both were beautiful and smooth and I impressed even myself haha!

So, I am sharing what I do have with all of you that were so kind to help me make this a success (thank you so much again). Here is a picture of my sweet daughter on her graduation day with her cakes. We are so proud of her. It seems like it was just yesterday when she was born.....so bittersweet.

Click to EnlargeImage

rgj123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rgj123 Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:27am
post #53 of 56

Beautiful cakes!!! You should be so proud. thumbs_up.gif

batter_up Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:22pm
post #54 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgj123

Beautiful cakes!!! You should be so proud. thumbs_up.gif

Thank you for the nice comments!

I haven't made cakes forever and these, for graduation, turned out better than I expected. I wish I would've had more time to decorate them but they looked decent anyway.

I am very proud of my DD. She wants to open a boutique. I told her I could make cakes in the back while she sells dresses in the "next size up" in the front. lol, sorry...my dry sense of humor! icon_lol.gif

batter_up Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:04am
post #55 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelaney81

batter_up

I know this may be coming in a little late, but here is an awesome chocolate frosting recipe.

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2033-Chocolate-Syrup-Frosting.html

Instead of using regular chocolate syrup, I used Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate. It was Devine!!! It doesn't crust as much as a regular buttercream would, but it frosts, smooths and decorates great!

Sounds delish...I may try it this weekend on some cupcakes for my sister's b-day. Thank you! icon_smile.gif

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:12am
post #56 of 56

They turned out very nice. I'm glad it all went well and the recipe worked out ok for you this time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%