Is There A Trick To.......

Decorating By Dee2806 Updated 14 May 2009 , 2:19am by kylekaitlyn

Dee2806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee2806 Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:37am
post #1 of 7

.....making Wilton red icing coloring darker??? It seems like I used way more than I should have and it still looks pink to me. My AC Moore only sells Wilton colors, so I'm thinking if it doesn't get any darker by tomorrow when I have to use it, I'll spray the red icing color over it to enhance it......unless anyone has any other suggestions? Thanks in advance helpful people!!!

6 replies
mistyp22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistyp22 Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:42am
post #2 of 7

I colored some fondant with that and had the same problem... It got much darker overnight.

Dee2806 Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:48am
post #3 of 7

thank you very much! I'll keep my fingers crossed - for what it's worth!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:53am
post #4 of 7

I get the same problem with that and black, which always seems greyish. They do darken with time, but it takes soooo much color gel that it changes the consistency of the medium.
I now cheat and buy pre-made black and red icings and fondant when I need them. It's worth it to me, saving the aggravation.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #5 of 7

It does darken overnight, some say tint it pink before red and that helps, but honestly since I found out about Americolor Super Red and Super Black that's all I use, yes you have to send away for it but once you use it you won't go back. Doesn't have the bitter taste either. The cheapest place I've found is www.intotheoven.com they sell large bottles of the red and black and it's so much more cost affective.

Dee2806 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:05am
post #6 of 7

Thank you very much for your tips! Debster - I'm sure it's worth it to send away for those colors since you're not using as much, and it's less work. Thank you all so much.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:19am
post #7 of 7

I had good luck getting a true red color by making a chocolate "clay" using red melting discs rather than the dark chocolate ones. After the clay set up, I mixed it with prepared fondant and added a litle no-taste red to get the exact color I was looking for. There is a recipe for the clay in the CC recipes section. Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%