Carving Question

Decorating By mistyp22 Updated 14 May 2009 , 3:25am by patticakesnc

mistyp22 Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:37am
post #1 of 8

I have never carved a cake other than just for leveling purposes. I want to try and carve a guitar then cover with fondant. In what order should I do things. I was thinking cool, level, stack, carve, freeze, icing, then fondant. Is this right?

7 replies
Eme Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:43am
post #2 of 8

Reverse the carve and freeze. I always freeze my cakes before I start carving... makes it more stable before I start hacking away!! icon_smile.gif

mistyp22 Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:52am
post #3 of 8

Thanks, that is the part I was wondering about.

TwoSweetSisters Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:08am
post #4 of 8

cool, level, freeze, stack, carve, ice, refrigerate, fondant

madgeowens Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:16am
post #5 of 8

cool,level,crumb coat and stack, freeze, carve, frost, smooth, fondant ............correct?

tastyart Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:18am
post #6 of 8

I can never freeze(no room in freezer) and rearely refrigerate(same problem). If you are careful, it still works.

krissycupcakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:25am
post #7 of 8

i have a guitar in my pics if you need to get an ideas

patticakesnc Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:25am
post #8 of 8

Most of the time I refridgerate mine. I can't fit them in the freezer (looking for one just for that purpose though). I bake, cool, refridgerate, (or freeze), level (if needed depending on design), stack (if applicable...with frosting in between), carve, crumbcoat, fridge again, final coat be it fondant or buttercream.

I was unable to freeze or fridge my guitar cake at all. It was so large that it wouldn't fit so I carved it out, crumb coated, and let it crust then did the finals on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%