Pasta Machine Question

Decorating By sandykay Updated 14 May 2009 , 4:02am by icer101

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:29am
post #1 of 9

I got a hand crank Pasta Machine for Christmas to use with Fondant, I have used it one with difficulty. Can anyone give me advice on how to keep the fondant smooth and from sticking. I tried powered sugar, and also a lite coating or shortning. I really was excited to get it my DH got it for me at Williams & Sonoma, so I know its a good one.

8 replies
blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:36am
post #2 of 9

I have always used powdered sugar with mine and as long as its achored down I have not had much trouble with mine. Are you starting at the widest opening and then gradually thinning it out. Another thing you can try is cornstarch. Hopefully someone else can give yoou some ideas also. Hopes this helps.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #3 of 9

Start out by rolling it pretty thin with a rolling pin. When you put it through the roller, start on the widest setting just like blondeez said. I have used mine with ps and with crisco with no difficulties.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #4 of 9

Had the same problem and finally had luck when I put a light coat of shortening on the rollers, then dusted with cornstarch. I periodically wiped the rollers and re-coated.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:57am
post #5 of 9

I didn't try rolling it first, but did yuse the largest setting. It seems to drag on one side so one edge gets longer but not the other. How do you make sure there is no pieces of metal sticking out?

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:59am
post #6 of 9

Does anyone use thier KA pasta machine???

kissylips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissylips Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:21am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by goof9j

Does anyone use thier KA pasta machine???

I've heard Edna say that she uses her KA attachment pasta roller. She said it in a video. I'm watching some on ebay myself.

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:54am
post #8 of 9

I use my KA pasta attachment. I think I put too much ps in my mmf. When I roll it through, the mmf separates. Some of it sticks to the rollers and some rolls through. It kind of separates into a few layers, if that makes sense. I usually coat the rollers with shortening. It's tricky for me to coat the rollers without getting caught in between the rollers. I'm sure there is a simple answer, but I can't figure it out.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:02am
post #9 of 9

i have an electric imperia... bought from rosemary watsom 10 years ago.. she taught us to keep the rollers clean, witha damp rag.. dry the rollers.. doing all this with the rollers turning. then put just a little shortening on the rollers.. that is all i have ever done.. i roll out my fondant , or fondant/gumpaste or gumpaste.. in a square shape. thin enough , that it will go thru the first setting..then the 3rd then the 5th.. i dust a little p/s or maybe .. cornstarch first. just a little.. if it ever sticks..its because i havent, cleaned it enough .. hth.. i have enjoyed my pasta machine so much over the years...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%