Can I Freeze A Cake With A Whipped Cream Filling?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 16 May 2009 , 1:34pm by -K8memphis

cherrycakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:58am
post #1 of 7

I would like to make a chocolate cake with cookies and cream filling (whipped cream base) and I need to assemble the 3 layers and then freeze in order to carve the cake. Can I use this type of a filling or is it better to stay with a buttercream filling? Thanks!

6 replies
sweet1122 Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:04am
post #2 of 7

I googled your question and came up with this. I'm bored tonight icon_biggrin.gif
Good luck!

cherrycakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:32am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the site! I think what I'll do instead of chancing ruining the filling is to stack, freeze, and carve my cake (a train) and then add the filling after - unless someone has a better suggestion!

sweet1122 Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:10am
post #4 of 7

No, that's what I was going to suggest. I didn't know what your design was to know if it would be possible or practical, but I think that's your best bet. Good luck!

-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:54am
post #5 of 7

I do it all the time. Be sure your whippped cream is properly whipped.

cherrycakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the website K8memphis! So, do you add gelatin to your whipped cream to stabilize? I'm just a bit confused on that issue still!

I'm attaching a pic of the train that I will be re-creating. I'm planning on making it 3 layers high to make it 6 inches tall so that will require 2 layers of filling. I was hoping to do the cookies and cream filling but now I'm wondering if the cookies will turn to mush once they have been frozen?

Any tips/suggestions on carving would be greatly appreciated too icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 7

Idea~make your fillings and freeze them see how it goes for you.

I used to use gelatine and then piping gel in my whipped cream--but I don't anymore--I just whip it well and it does not weep.

When you are whipping, do not start out at high speed--whip at medium speed so all the particles get into the plan--then boost the speed up --

I put a layer of whipped cream, a layer of strawberries laid in like a mosaic cut small with a sharp knife (less moisture loss) so the cake serves well and then another layer of whipped cream so the fat encases the beries.

Works for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%