How Do I Do This Cake?

Decorating By skaggs1 Updated 18 May 2009 , 2:35pm by ninatat

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:30am
post #1 of 17

I think this cake is done by using stencils? Am I correct? I attached a pic of the cake she wants. I have never done anything like this before and I'm not sure if I can even do it, but that's how you learn right? Is it easier than it looks? Could you give me instructions on how to do this? TIA
LL

16 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:46am
post #2 of 17

Yes that is done w/a stencil. Sorry, I haven't made one yet but I'm sure someone will jump on this post and give you some instructions.

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:53am
post #3 of 17

lets start with good luck!!!! im sure in the middle of the night you will find a solution!! thats when it works best for me. but if anything worst comes to worst you can take the pattern and get it printed out at the local grocery store on an edible image sheet and then they will be perfect but im sure youll figure out the best way good luck

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:54am
post #4 of 17

I believe on the home page there is a link that gives directions on stenciling. I have yet to try this technique though. I hope this helps. Oh, and I'm not sure if it is some "specific" type of stenciling tutorial but it's a video and it's right on the home page.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:56am
post #5 of 17

there is a video on how to do them at www.designerstencils.com
that's a beautiful cake.. good luck with it.. icon_biggrin.gif

kccliff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccliff Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:59am
post #6 of 17

This cake is done by a stencil by Global Sugar Art. They advertise on here all the time. There is also a video you can watch from here under Articles Tab the under Cake Decorating Videos.

It is also on the home page right now for how to apply it.

Good luck. I've never tried it but it looks easy enough.

Karen

skaggs1 Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:02am
post #7 of 17

thanks everyone! This cake isn't untill Oct. but I want to make sure that I can do something like this before I tell them yes! This cake is totally out of my comfort zone. but if I know the proper way of doing this, then I could practice right?????

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #8 of 17

I am sure you can do it and it would be easy enough to practice. Here is the exact stencil. http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=23052

It is $20

skaggs1 Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:31am
post #9 of 17

can it be done with buttercream?

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:46am
post #10 of 17

look up in the articles section, there is one video there

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:57am
post #11 of 17

The videos in the articles section will explain it and show you how to do it. They show it done with both royal and buttercream.

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:57am
post #12 of 17
fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:11am
post #13 of 17

Go to Culinary Stencils.. They have beautiful designs.. that is where I got mine.. Stencil is VERy easy and quick and very beautiful. icon_smile.gif

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:06am
post #14 of 17

I have done a similar cake using an edible image, its easier to do it with a square cake I suppose, but I had 5 sheets printed and this is the result. I was too scared to do black RI stensils, this was super easy. Just "glued it onto the fondant with some piping jelly
HTH

[img]Image[img]

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:48am
post #16 of 17

well if you want this done the right way, then do it the same way that cake on the photo was done.. by stencil. Martha Stewart had this on her book and it was done by stencil.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:35pm
post #17 of 17

i found designer stencils, and they have some good videos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%