Fondant Swags On Buttercream Cake?

Decorating By bellsnbows Updated 17 May 2009 , 10:04pm by tonedna

bellsnbows Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:27am
post #1 of 17

Is it possible to put fondant swags on a buttercream cake? If so, how should I attach them? Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!!

Ellen

16 replies
CanadianCakin Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:35am
post #2 of 17

Yep! I just did for a mothers day cake. I don't know if it's the 'right' way but it worked! I honestly just layed it onto and kinda pressed it there! It stayed put!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1365269.html

As for the swags that go on the side of a cake I'm not sure but I know there is a tutorial on you tube

HTH!
Ashley

tonedna Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:42am
post #3 of 17

I do it all the time. Needs to be a strong buttercream. Not thin

Edna icon_biggrin.gif
LL

all4cake Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:46am
post #4 of 17

there are quite a few examples of fondant swags on buttercream

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1302411

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1281627

Edna gives pointers in this one

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1244177

She's just one of many decorators who've had success applying fondant swags to buttercream...

tonedna Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:48am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

there are quite a few examples of fondant swags on buttercream

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1302411

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1281627

Edna gives pointers in this one

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1244177

She's just one of many decorators who've had success applying fondant swags to buttercream...





icon_rolleyes.gif I've see those cakes before... icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:49am
post #6 of 17

lol...sorry Edna! didn't know you were hangin' out ...you beat me to it

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1244323

all4cake Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:51am
post #7 of 17

I can't imagine where!

I use your cakes for examples ALL THE TIME...you always have great use of the techniques and they're perfectly done...not to mention, your pictures are ALWAYS clear!

all4cake Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:52am
post #8 of 17

I call the ones that wrap down and around drapes and the ones that are more U shaped swags

tonedna Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:53am
post #9 of 17

All that work and cakes being eaten...no proof of me making the cake unless I have a pic..lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:57am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

lol...sorry Edna! didn't know you were hangin' out ...you beat me to it

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1244323





Hey!..this is not mine..I am insulted...hahaha thumbs_up.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:58am
post #11 of 17

my finger slipped when you busted me

tonedna Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:59am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

my finger slipped when you busted me






Hahaha...Ok that was hilarious!
Edna icon_lol.gif

bellsnbows Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:18am
post #13 of 17

Thanks everyone! I should have known Edna would have examples of the solution to my problem! I appreciate all of your help and I feel alot better about this now! You are all the best!!

tonedna Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:22am
post #14 of 17

Just make sure your icing is not too soft!...is a must!
Good luck!
Edna icon_smile.gif

bakingatthebeach Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:17pm
post #15 of 17

Ditto on that soft icing thing, made that mistake!

sabriana Posted 17 May 2009 , 9:17pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Just make sure your icing is not too soft!...is a must!
Good luck!
Edna icon_smile.gif



What do you mean by that - do you mean a particular recipe (SMBC) or will any do with more sugar in it? Also, is this something that should be attempted on a rainy day (as in EVERY day in summer here in Ireland)?

Sabriana

tonedna Posted 17 May 2009 , 10:04pm
post #17 of 17

I use crusting buttercream. I am not sure that Swiss or Italian will do well doing swags on them. They are softer. Even with your crusting buttercream, you go to be careful that is not too soft.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%