Help!!! Scuplting Questions?

Decorating By LadyTerry Updated 15 May 2009 , 3:04am by LadyTerry

LadyTerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyTerry Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 10

Hi im a newbie on here and I love all the cakes that I've seen but im just wondering if anyone can give me in detail on how to scuplt a baby cake? I saw a couple of people on here make baby shaped cakes using rice krispy treats but I would love to know how to do this? I have to do a cake for a baby shower coming up? PLEASE? PLEASE? HELP? HELP?

9 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 10

can you link to a picture of that kind of cake? you could try sending a nice pm to some of the creators too.
xx

madhattercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madhattercakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 10

Depends on what kind of baby you are making. Is it 3D or flat? 3D you can use sports ball pans to get the roundness or round pans put together to get a semi 3D/flat baby
LL
LL

LadyTerry Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 10

I'm trying to do more of a 3d cake like the second picture that you posted madhattercakes. also something like this as well( attachment) something to make look real but edible! but I love the second cake idea can you pm and tell how you did it! Dont mean to bother anybody! icon_redface.gif Just curious to see if I can do something like this! icon_biggrin.gif

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 10

I have done one of these, but I don't have it posted. I used a Wilton ball pan for the head and the Wondermold for the body. I carved a flat surface on the bottom of the ball so it would be more stable. I carved some of the dome on top the Wondermold and used it to build up the neck area. I started out trying to do a realistic baby, but quickly realized a more cute cartoonish baby would be easier for me. The hardest part for me was getting the fondant on the head smoothed flawless then getting the placement of the facial features correct. It helps if you have an actual doll to look at while doing it the first time. Remember that eyes and ears are in the middle of the head, not towards the top. The body can be as simple as a square piece of fondant as the blanket. You can get fancier by adding patterns, fringe, etc to the blanket and having hands, feet, bottle, or a toy sticking out from under it. Good luck and have fun with it.

LadyTerry Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 10

done by jawdroppingcakes, plus I've seen many others similiar to it!
LL

madhattercakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 10

That second pic is actually somebody else's cake idea (the website is stamped across the pic) My guess is it is 2 different sized ball cake pans with possibly fondant features and limbs. It should be relatively easy to duplicate, I just liked the pic for ideas so have it in my files for reference. That website has some amazing cakes and ideas to browse. Sorry I couldn't be more help, perhaps the picture could be enough of a guide? Maybe someone else can suggest a different way of making the cake?

madhattercakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 10

DrTina nicely explained what I was thinking. Follow her directions and you should come out with a nice cake! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTerry

done by jawdroppingcakes, plus I've seen many others similiar to it!

That cake is gorgeous but I cannot imagine cutting in to it. icon_surprised.gif

LadyTerry Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:04am
post #10 of 10

Thanks for all the help, i'll do my best!! but thanks for the help that all of you provided for me! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%