Cookie Cutters From Kitchen Collectibles

Baking By HeidiCrumbs Updated 16 May 2009 , 1:55am by ptanyer

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 20

Has anyone gotten their cutters before? I ordered 5 different ones and while I like the size and shape, they didn't roll the one edge down so that when you press on it it isn't sharp. I haven't ever seen this in a cutter, especially a $13 one! The crappy thing is, is that the edges almost feel unfinished, not as smooth as the ones from ecrandle or the other copper store, I can't think of the name right now. So it almost hurts when you press on it. I'm really kind of bummed. Plus, the order took almost two weeks for me to get it and I had to call just to make sure they got my order. I don't know if I'll order from them again. What's your experience, if any?

19 replies
cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 20

Actually I like that they are that way. Makes your cutter more versatile.

I thought I heard or read somewhere that you need to use these kinds of cutters commercially.(no rolled seam)

You will find that other cookie cutter places actually sell their cutters.

I had a good experience. You can't beat their variety.

I'm thinking the other place you are referring to is coppergifts.com

HeidiCrumbs Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 20

Oh, I didn't even think of that for commercial reasons. And I liked their variety too, so many that I couldn't find anywhere else. And yes too, it was coppergifts.com. I guess I just wish they would have filed or buffed it so that it wouldn't feel so sharp to the touch.

As for being more versatile, what do you mean? I'm curious if there's something I'm missing, lol. Thanks!

cookiemookie Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 20

What I mean by versatile is if you have something that faces one way, you can cut it out the other by using the other side instead of flipping the actual cut out piece of dough.. Like a foot cutter for instance, or an animal ect.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 20

My cutters from there were great. Perhaps you received a faulty item. Have you called them to check? I am sure they would be happy to help.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 20

I, too, like the fact that you can flip the cookie cutter.

Cookie45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie45 Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:41am
post #7 of 20

I ordered a Mason jar cookie cutter from them recently and it was lopsided (not symetrical like a jar would be.) I contacted them and was instructed to send it back and they would look at it and see if they could fix it.

I asked if they would reimburse the postage since I already had paid it once. They hesitated, but complied and repaired the cutter. I don't think they would have had I not pressed the issue.

I'm not sure if I would order from them again either.

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:08pm
post #8 of 20

I buy my cutters from www.ecrandal.com
Eric and Jamie Border make the most amazing cutters - great designs and absolutely beautiful workmanship. This is a small family business and they are wonderful people to work with, too. Right now they have a discount for new customers.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie45

I ordered a Mason jar cookie cutter from them recently and it was lopsided (not symetrical like a jar would be.) I contacted them and was instructed to send it back and they would look at it and see if they could fix it.

I asked if they would reimburse the postage since I already had paid it once. They hesitated, but complied and repaired the cutter. I don't think they would have had I not pressed the issue.

I'm not sure if I would order from them again either.

I've had the same exact experience. I used to order quite a few cutters from them, but then the quality really started to drop. I had a sharp point on one cutter and it was as if they didn't believe me. I too insisted they pay for the postage. Another time they sent the wrong cutter (baseball player when I ordered the basketball player) and they were going to make me pay postage back to them and then back to me -- uh, I don't think so. These problems started several years ago when their then operations manager quit. Quality and customer service (if you can call it that) has rapidly faded ever since. They will reluctantly "fix" things, but they'll try to stick you with the postage. If they hadn't resolved my situation I was fully prepared to complain to the BBB. (Now I can complain to the CC!)

Their cutters used to be made by SAHMs not sure if it was or still is true. Quality varies from cutter to cutter. The last cutters I got were "wonky" and not properly shaped just as Cookie45 said. You have to jiggle it into place and it's still not quite right.

I agree with CookieMookie. The straight edge does make a versatile cutter. I have flipped over rimmed cutters, but it isn't as good a cut (obviously.) And yes, they do have a lot of designs and some of them are pretty darn amazing.

There are a few Kitchen Collectable cutters I still really want. They have more cutters than anybody, but there are no guarantees what shape they'll be in when you get em. Complete crap shoot. Not sure if I will take the chance either.

NO ONE makes quality copper cutters like ecrandal originals. They are little pieces of art. Joanne said it beautifully! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 20

Yes, I agree ecrandal cutters are the most exceptional quality -- you will never be disappointed.

I thought shipping was also high at Kitchen Collectibles.

cookiemookie Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:14pm
post #11 of 20

In total agreement about ecrandl. The cutters are works of art in every respect. From the way they are made, to the packaging, and their wonderful customer service. Plus they are reasonably priced. These cutters will be tomorrow's heirlooms!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 20

A few years ago, I entered and won Kitchen Gifts' cookie cutter design contest. I sent in numerous entries for new cutters, and won for my "Fast Food Fries" design. In their newsletter, they acknowledged that I sent in numerous entries. They gave me a free cutter from my Fries design, but made me pay for the other cutters of MY designs which they also produced! I wrote to them and pointed out that they produced MY designs which then generated income for them; and that it would be a nice gesture if they sent me the freebies. No go.
Hence, I have not purchased anything from them since, and I will not EVER.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

A few years ago, I entered and won Kitchen Gifts' cookie cutter design contest. I sent in numerous entries for new cutters, and won for my "Fast Food Fries" design. In their newsletter, they acknowledged that I sent in numerous entries. They gave me a free cutter from my Fries design, but made me pay for the other cutters of MY designs which they also produced! I pointed out that MY designs were produced and generated income for them, and that it would b e a nice gesture if they sent me the freebies. No go.
Hence, I have not purchased anything from them since, and I will not EVER.

I LOVE that cutter!!

I'd be mad, too! Doesn't really seem like a contest as much as a call for free ideas. I wonder if they kept and used anyone else's designs.

cutthecake Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 20

Glad you like the fries cutter. Burgers and hot dogs need fries, right?
I'm not mad, I'm smarter.
I only wish I had a way to produce the cutters myself because I have LOTS of other ideas. One of my favorite designs was my stand mixer, which they also produced with no credit to me.

Cookie45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie45 Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #15 of 20

Hmmm...interesting to know I'm not the only one who has had issues with them.

Pretty crappy using your designs with no acknowledgement either!

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #16 of 20

That would really dissapoint me! You should get credit for your designs. Was there fine print that all entries became their property?

HeidiCrumbs Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:59pm
post #17 of 20

Wow, I'm really glad that I said something! I have a really hard time complaining (complete lack of backbone) so I'll just grumble to you guys and never order from them again, lol. At least I wasn't the only one disappointed in their business as a whole.

As for ecrandle, I have four of their cutters and I want to take them to bed with me I love them so much. The order took longer than they expected and I had an e-mail in my box almost every other day explaining why they were backed up, when it went into production, profuse apologies and a note when it shipped. THIS is how a business should be ran! My goal, when I am a super sucessful cookie decorater, is to replace all of my cutter shapes with theirs. Perhaps a pipe dream but at least a nice goal. Oh, and my cow cutter was almost $20, normally about 20 times more than I would spend on a cutter but it's absolutly stunning. It is my favorite by far of all of my collection.

cutthecake Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:01pm
post #18 of 20

I don't recall any fine print at all, and I didn't sign anything. The contest was very "loose". Send in designs; they pick a winner; winner gets cookie cutter. I was more disappointed than anything. I just thought it would be good public relations, and a sign of good will, for them to give me free cutters from my design entries that they eventually produced. What could it have cost them? Instead, they've lost a customer. Now I order from Foose, Coppergifts, Off the Beaten Path, Downtown Dough and Amazon.com. I haven't shopped at ecrandle yet, but I'll give them a try sometime. I have hundreds of cutters, and I keep buying more.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:43am
post #19 of 20

Somebody at this company need to read this post. It sounds like they may find themselves out of business if they keep this up!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:55am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne1944

I buy my cutters from www.ecrandal.com
Eric and Jamie Border make the most amazing cutters - great designs and absolutely beautiful workmanship. This is a small family business and they are wonderful people to work with, too. Right now they have a discount for new customers.

Thank you so much for that link! They are located just a couple of towns away from me! Always love to do business with "local" people and their product line is awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%