Why Did My Cake Batter Turn Into A Disaster?

Decorating By Creative_chika Updated 14 May 2009 , 3:31am by patticakesnc

Creative_chika Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried making a pineapple and coconut cake. The batter was delicious. I used WASC recipe and eliminated sour cream, added pineapple yogurt, coconut flavoring and crushed pineapple. The cake didnt rise, seemed like a pie. It seemed flat, and very dry, but it wasn't dry, at least some parts weren't. I tasted a piece and it tasted delicious, but I couldnt do anything with it because it was like 1" high. Cupcakes sank in the middle icon_cry.gif Can anyone tell me why??

5 replies
Deb_ Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:24am
post #2 of 6

My guess is that the addition of the pineapple made the batter too dense........it didn't have enough leavening for all that moisture. Try adding some baking powder to it the next time and maybe cutting back on the other wet ingredients.

HTH

krissycupcakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:29am
post #3 of 6

sounds like crushed pinapple made the batter to heavy yogurt sounds like a nice idea though. next time maybe sprinkle just alil pinapple into the batter after you put it in the pan or make pinapple upside down style

adonisthegreek1 Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:39am
post #4 of 6

I'm not really sure, maybe too much liquid. Also, when you make carrot cakes with crushed pineapple and shredded coconut it never rises much, but is moist and delicious. I have made a sponge type coconut cake substituting the milk for coconut milk and adding pineapple flavoring. I did also use self rising flour and it turned out just fine.

Creative_chika Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:23am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissycupcakes

sounds like crushed pinapple made the batter to heavy yogurt sounds like a nice idea though. next time maybe sprinkle just alil pinapple into the batter after you put it in the pan or make pinapple upside down style

Thanks for your tips everyone! icon_smile.gif

How do I make the upside down style? Thanks again.

patticakesnc Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:31am
post #6 of 6

I dont think it was the pineapple. I do a cake that I put crushed pineapple in all the time and it always rises. Unless you put too much in it. I add mine in place or part of the water. If you added water as well as pineapple and too much of it , then maybe too heavy. I always use the small can of crushed pineapple. Like a little bigger than a tuna can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%