What's The Difference...

Baking By rmbias1 Updated 13 May 2009 , 9:50pm by mariela_ms

rmbias1 Posted 13 May 2009 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 4

between german chocolate and any other chocolate cake mix? I know that german choc. cake seems to be lighter and I would assume that an actual 'german chocolate' is used instead of milk, semi-sweet, or bittersweet.
Now, that being asked, I usually bake from cake mixes and dr. them up with different flavors. I have to make 500 mini cc this weekend and two of the requested flavors are choc. and german choc. So, if there isn't a huge difference between the two maybe I could just put the traditional coconut pecan frosting on plain chocolate cake and there wouldn't be too much difference.
So, should I actually make two different flavors of chocolate or take my chances at a little cheating and only make plain chocolate and change up the frosting? icon_confused.gif
TIA
Michele B. in WV

3 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 13 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 4

Since they want two different chocolates, why not go with Betty Crocker Triple Chocolate Fudge for one, and then the German Chocolate for the other? I use the BC Triple Chocolate for my practice cakes, and my family loves it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mariela_ms Posted 13 May 2009 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 4

I can definitely tell when I am eating a regular chocolate cake and a german chocolate cake. I Guess it's hard to explain, but there IS a different flavor. I would suggest you do the 2 different flavors. Better be safe then sorry, you wouldn't want your customer al mad at you because they did notice they were the same kind of chocolate cake. GOod luCK!

Now... I'm craving German Chocolate! icon_biggrin.gif

mariela_ms Posted 13 May 2009 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 4

OH and I usually use Devil's food for my "regular" chocolate cake so it would be a big difference in taste from German Choc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%