Satin Ice's "blue" Is Not Really Blue

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 18 May 2009 , 2:42am by bisbqueenb

mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 10

I just ordered a 5 lb bucket of Satin Ice's blue and I'm disappointed to say it's more like a teal - maybe a dark teal.

What color can I add to it to make it more like a royal blue?

9 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 10

I would think just more blue. Does Wilton have a royal blue dye?

stephaniescakenj Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 10

try a touch of black and then more blue if it's still not right. go very slowly with the color...

OhMyGanache Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 10

I would test the color out on a small piece first and see what you need to add to get the color you want.

bisbqueenb Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:43am
post #5 of 10

I have a Satin Ice color guide that gives you mixing information for various colors. They mix by weight or volume and for the dark blue colors they show 4 parts of the blue you have and 1 part purple. A very dark blue shows 2 parts blue, 1 part pink [ gets the purple tone there] and one part black. You could start by mixing the purple or pink shades then adding to the blue, or just add the purple and black coloring a little at a time till you get what you need.

beachcakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:34am
post #6 of 10

Man, I need that teal blue color - send it my way! icon_smile.gif I might have to order some now!

erinalicia Posted 17 May 2009 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 10

I was disappointed when I first got it too, but when it dries it's more of a royal blue. I have 2 cakes in my photos that I used it on. The sand bucket cake is covered in it, and the 08 graduation cake, I used the blue for the tassel.

Hope that helps. try taking a bit out and leave it to dry and see how it looks.

leah_s Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 10

Wow. My Satin Ice blue is a bright blue. Here in KY, we'd call it Wildcat Blue.

IHATEFONDANT Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

I have a color guide that gives you mixing information for various colors. They mix by weight or volume and for the dark blue colors they show 4 parts of the blue you have and 1 part purple. A very dark blue shows 2 parts blue, 1 part pink [ gets the purple tone there] and one part black. You could start by mixing the purple or pink shades then adding to the blue, or just add the purple and black coloring a little at a time till you get what you need.

Can we ask where you got that color guide?

bisbqueenb Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:42am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEFONDANT

Can we ask where you got that color guide?

I 'think' I got it at the American Bakery Expo in Las Vegas a while back. I scanned the chart and uploaded it to the template area.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1371708

PM me if you would like a larger file with a bit better resolution.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%