Cascading Tiers Wedding Cake Help

Decorating By torysgirl87 Updated 14 May 2009 , 4:05am by jammjenks

torysgirl87 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 8

The bride asked me for 5 tiers although she is not having very many guests. I suggested 6, 8, 9, 10, and 12 inch rounds for 150 servings. She asked if she could have 6, 6, 8, 10, 10 so she could also have a groom's cake. I've never seen a cake like this. I could go smaller, starting w/ a 4 inch cake, but I usually don't. Any suggestions or photos to help me get a feel for this?

Thanks!

7 replies
bakingatthebeach Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 8

Wouldnt that end up looking like a 3 tiered cake after all is said and done?

torysgirl87 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 8

It would be a casading cake...I hope I'm saying this right. Not a stacked cake, but 5 individual cakes that gradually get larger on individual stands that gradually get shorter...

Thanks.

jammjenks Posted 13 May 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 8

I think it will look ok either way. I'll attach a picture of one I did recently. The sattelites on each side starting at the top are 6, 8, 8, 8. Maybe it will help you visualize.
LL

torysgirl87 Posted 13 May 2009 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much! This is exactly what I needed to see! Your cake is SO beautiful by the way. I will need this sort of cake for my cousin in February who has asked me to make cake for 300 guests and be a bridesmaid!!! icon_surprised.gif

Thanks again!

bakingatthebeach Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:27am
post #6 of 8

Oh, ok, I get it now.

krissycupcakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:33am
post #7 of 8

what about making the bigger cake so it looks nice but leave the bottom 1 or2 tiers foam ive seen this done before and you cant tell. and it would lower the cost of the cake

jammjenks Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:05am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by torysgirl87

Thanks so much! This is exactly what I needed to see! Your cake is SO beautiful by the way. I will need this sort of cake for my cousin in February who has asked me to make cake for 300 guests and be a bridesmaid!!! icon_surprised.gif

Thanks again!

Thanks for the compliment. If I'm not mistaking, this cake has 284 servings as it is (w/o counting the top tier). You could change that up by just making all the side cakes 8". Just a thought.

Oh and one more thing...when I used the clear stands, I flipped them upside down so that the 10" and 12" plates (and so on) were on the bottom and all the top plates were the smaller ones. I wanted to show as little of the plates as possible. Make sense?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%