The Great Scratch Off!!

Decorating By CakeandDazzle Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 6:58pm by Deb_

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:24am
post #121 of 193

re: halving 1 egg

I always go by weight. According to the volume to weight conversion table found in the Cake Bible 1 large egg=50 grams, 1 egg white=30 grams and 1 egg yok = 18.6 grams. (Don't know why the difference between the weight of 1 whole egg vs the sum of the weights for yolks & whites). To divide the egg I would beat the egg/s slightly and just measure the required weight.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:37am
post #122 of 193

Giraffe11, I am about to start the new thread for the Yellow Cake Scratch-Off. I'll start it with the Deadlines, rules, and judging criteria. Do you want me to also list the recipes or were you going to compile the list? Just let me know.

I'm going to put the thread under "General" Forums.

Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:45am
post #123 of 193

I have changed my mind. To keep things consistant, I am going to post the new thread for the Yellow Cake Scratch-Off under the "Recipes" forum. It will also be easy to find, being so close to the original thread.

It IS a way to find new recipes, after all. I hope that this will be OK with everyone. icon_smile.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:24am
post #124 of 193

We could always post a thread in the General or Lounge to announce the new bake-off each month. Try to attract more attention.

maryjsgirl Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:28am
post #125 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffraine

This is a buttercream recipe from sewsweet on another page and after baking for 15 years is the best I have ever found:

Hope you can try it, it goes great with two cake recipes I posted on the great scratch off post. The greasiness/sliminess of the crisco is completely eliminated by the cornstarch and powdered milk.

Buttercream Icing II - Faux Fondant

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/ButtercreamIcing.htm

What is the reasoning behind it being called faux fondant?

Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:30am
post #126 of 193

That sounds good. I already posted the new thread into the "Recipes" forum section but maybe we could post a link to the Scratch-Off in the "General" forum section.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:47am
post #127 of 193

It's not really necessary to post the same info in different forums.

ALL new posts will show up for all members when they "view posts since last visit."

HTH

P.S. I'm moving this thread to the general forum (same forum as cake challenges [decorating] used. (The recipes are being requested for the purposes of the bake-off.)

Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:14am
post #128 of 193

Hi JanH,

Can you also move the new thread that I started for "The Great Scratch-Off...Yellow Cakes? I started the thread to post the deadlines, rules, and judging criteria. It will be found in the "Recipes" forum, right under The Great Scratch-Off thread. I was going to post it in the general forum, like several people had asked, but I was a hard head icon_redface.gif .

Thank you in advance.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:18am
post #129 of 193

Already done, Darlita. icon_smile.gif

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:27am
post #130 of 193

So I started this thread... and NEVER got anymore replies.. I jsut thought it died... KWIM? Then I say it in the active threads on the homepage and saw it had over 120 responses!! What happened! LOL will catch up tomorrow and see whats going on! Sorry everyone!

CakeandDazzle Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:40am
post #131 of 193

Ok so I caught up!! Let me first start by saying a big fat SORRY!! to everyone for just leaving it hanging... then Ill say cant wait to get started!! And find the yellow cake link!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:04am
post #132 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

So I started this thread... and NEVER got anymore replies.. I jsut thought it died... KWIM? Then I say it in the active threads on the homepage and saw it had over 120 responses!! What happened! LOL will catch up tomorrow and see whats going on! Sorry everyone!

Ah yes, there is a little known CC secret (well, it's not a secret but sometimes it takes a while to figure it out, when you're new) that when you START a new thread, you do NOT automatically get to "Watch this topic for replies." I know, it's odd!! But for any new thread you start, after you get the confirmation screen for your post, you need to choose "read my post" (or whatever it says) and then go to the bottom of the page and click on Watch this topic for replies. thumbs_up.gif

That lil' glitch has tripped me up more times than I care to tell you!! icon_rolleyes.gif

CakeandDazzle Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:17am
post #133 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

Ah yes, there is a little known CC secret (well, it's not a secret but sometimes it takes a while to figure it out, when you're new) that when you START a new thread, you do NOT automatically get to "Watch this topic for replies." I know, it's odd!! But for any new thread you start, after you get the confirmation screen for your post, you need to choose "read my post" (or whatever it says) and then go to the bottom of the page and click on Watch this topic for replies. thumbs_up.gif

That lil' glitch has tripped me up more times than I care to tell you!! icon_rolleyes.gif

well i didnt know that... thanks!! BUT i did respond to the thread at one point... so i should have been getting reply notices... i do feel really terrible though icon_sad.gif

Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:22am
post #134 of 193

Welcome back, CakeandDazzle. I didn't know that it was not automatic that the author get notice of replies, either, so don't feel bad icon_wink.gif

CakeandDazzle Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:26am
post #135 of 193

Yeah Im actually really bad with cake central all together... dont really know how it works much!!

I know this is a little (OK alot) late but what if we did something like take the 12 choosen recipes and split them into groups of 3, then have people pick a set of cakes so that say 5 people are all making the same 3 cakes, submit the results then of the 3 choose their favorite. I think it will be easier to narrow down a winner... i know im completely out of place here, but maybe it could work for the next month??

maryjsgirl Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:41am
post #136 of 193

Welcome back Cakeanddazzle! icon_smile.gif

As for grouping the recipes like you suggest I would just like to pick which ones I try personally. As I do this yellow cake challenge I am actually trying to find the right cake for me to use permanently. Plus, there are some nit picky steps I refuse to do, ie whip egg whites, and avoid those recipes.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:13am
post #137 of 193

maryjsgirl, i'm right there with you icon_smile.gif i hate whipping egg whites

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:22am
post #138 of 193

I'd rather pick my own too......well, since I already picked them icon_smile.gif
If we have a recipe or two with not enough bakers......well, we could post them and ask if anyone wants to add? I know if I have extra time at the end of the month, I wouldn't mind adding one. And I am not prejudiced against eggwhite whipping. icon_lol.gif The KA is my friend there.......

Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:28am
post #139 of 193

I'm with AKA_Cupcakeshoppe, Giraffe and Maryjsgirl...I'd rather choose which recipes I sample. thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #140 of 193

For those amongst us who are allergic to the egg white whipping for cake applications, I hope you consider the Sylvia with my modifications. I mean at some point in time--maybe not necessarily for this scratch off. You'd love it I think.

lostbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostbaker Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:37pm
post #141 of 193
CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:18pm
post #142 of 193

Oh! I would like to participate but I wasn't receiving updates icon_sad.gif I have to start looking for the recipes...do I still have time??? thank you, Cbya

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #143 of 193

Checkout the thread listed above, all of the recipes are on there.

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:51pm
post #144 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasualKitchen

I always go by weight. According to the volume to weight conversion table found in the Cake Bible 1 large egg=50 grams, 1 egg white=30 grams and 1 egg yok = 18.6 grams. (Don't know why the difference between the weight of 1 whole egg vs the sum of the weights for yolks & whites). To divide the egg I would beat the egg/s slightly and just measure the required weight.

Thank you for your reply!

Naty

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:51pm
post #145 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasualKitchen

Thank you for your reply!

Naty

maryjsgirl Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:10am
post #146 of 193

Sorry to bump this, but I didn't want to get the yellow cake scratch off side tracked.

I had some concerns with the cheesecake scratch off.

Maybe I am thinking way too much into it.

It seems to me that there are a lot of different types of cheesecake eaters. You've got the ones that think that Jello blasphemy is the best kind, then you've got the ones that like light cheesecakes ala Sara Lee, those like me that like huge, dense New York style cheesecakes, and everyone in between.

I was just wondering if this will be an issue with judging the "perfect cheesecake"?

Lita829 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:38am
post #147 of 193

Sorry about putting an earlier post in the yellow cake scratch-off section. I should have put it here.

Thats a good question. Hmmm....Maybe we can narrow it down to BAKED cheesecake...from scratch. I guess we can have a variety of types..chocolate, apple...etc.

So far, for the judging criteria we have:

Taste
Texture
Crust
Density
Cost
Ease of preparation

Is there anything else we should judge the cheesecakes on?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:59am
post #148 of 193

maryjsgirl, that was my concern too. there are just way too many, like chocolate cheesecakes, fruit cheesecakes, etc. i personally love the dense ones. i was gonna submit a recipe i wanted to try for so long which has brownie cut ups inside but i don't know if that is what we're looking for. is it just plain cheesecakes?

maryjsgirl Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:05am
post #149 of 193

Speaking of cheesecake...

The price of cream cheese went up 50 cents at my Walmart! Grrrrr!

tapedshut.giftapedshut.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gif

Well I am very happy with the cheesecake recipe I use so I wouldn't actually be baking for this scratch off....just entering a recipe. Which I am sure everyone and their mother knows of since it is like the most popular on allrecipes.

Chantal's New York Cheesecake

icon_lol.gif

I will just have to drool over the photos.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:32am
post #150 of 193

I love this challenge but boy it's gonna be pricey!

I nominate Junior's Cheesecake

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/dessert/juniors-famous-1-cheesecake-recipe.html

Cordon Rose Cheesecake

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cooking-live/cordon-rose-cheesecake-recipe/index.html

and Craig Claiborne's Cheesecake from Maida Heatter's Cookbook

http://www.saveur.com/article/Food/Craig-Claibornes-Cheesecake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%