Gumpaste Powder Or Ready-Made

Decorating By kjskid Updated 14 May 2009 , 1:04pm by sweetjan

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 14

Which do you prefer, gumpaste powder or ready-made? I bought the ready-made, but I'm not a fan of trying to get it out of the pouch, and I'm wondering if powder works just as well.
Thanks!

13 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 14

I usually use the premade but I just recently made the powder, I didnt like it. It ended up too stretchy and I really couldnt do much with it. I think I will stick to the premade.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 14

I use homemade. Use this recipe, the glucose and gum-tex can be found at michaels or hobby lobby. I really prefer homemade, it tastes better (if you are gonna eat it) and it works better for me.

1T Gum-tex
4 cups sifted powder sugar
1T heaping glucose
4T warm water

Mix gum-tex and powder sugar, make a well in the middle.
Microwave water and glucose together 30 seconds until clear.
Pour into well mix until well blended. it will be very soft
put in a plastic bag and seal tightly. Let rest at room temp at least 8 huors.
Knead remaing sugar in when ready to use. Also color at this time. Keep it covered.

I really like the consistency of this. HTH

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 14

I always see the Gum Tex but never the glucose at our Michaels.

jamiekwebb Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 14

Really...hmmm.... Our has it but if not try JoAnns and Hobby Lobby always has it when I go. If nt order off of Wilton web-site.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 14

i can,t see anybody eating anything made with gumpaste. it dries so hard.. i can see them keeping as a keepsake.. nick lodge on his site has a great homemade recipe. everyone loves this one.. it works so well and dries so good.. when i don,t make that one ... i use the wilton premade. it is great. but again, that all depends on the weather where each of us has to deal with. i don,t like wilton powder.. i teach gumpaste flowers at michaels.. the students buy the premade with coupons.. they like it. they do well with it. hth satin ice premade gumpaste is too soft for me .. but others on here like it .. so its just different with everyone..

cakeinthebox4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeinthebox4U Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 14

I used to use the powder from wilton but I just made my first batch of Nicholas Lodge recipie and I LOVE IT!!! So easy to make and I love how it performed. I think if you search for it on this sight the recipie is on here. thumbs_up.gif

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 14

I use both but I like the powder a little more if it sits for 24 hrs. at least before I have to use it. I find the bag stuff gets hard around the edges and I end up having to waste part of it so I get more for my money with the powder. I may look at the Nicholas Lodge recipe that people are talking about though icon_smile.gif

jamiekwebb Posted 13 May 2009 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 14

I don't eat it but my little boys love it. Go figure that huh. I agree that it does dry to hard to eat and that the bag stuff does get to hard on the edges.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 13 May 2009 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 14

I used the Wilton premade for class, and it was hard and costs $8.99 and then I started using the powder (Wilton) and it works great and costs $6.99 for 1Lb

jamiekwebb Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 14

I don't know for sure but Iwould say that homemade costs about $2-3 lb

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #12 of 14

Sorry to hijack but once the Wilton premade is opened, how long can it be stored and what is the best way to do it?

jamiekwebb Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:56pm
post #13 of 14

It doesn't seem to last long without the edges getting hard and crumbly. I don't really know a time limit on it but you won't want to keep it long.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:04pm
post #14 of 14

cherrycakes...the premade needs to be doubled-wrapped in saran wrap and a plastic bag...press out all air, seal tightly. Then place that in an airtight tupperware-sort of container. Lasts a long time that way...several weeks or so.

having compared the self-made gumpaste recipes of Wilton and Nic. Lodge, I can say that the Nic. Lodge recipe is just excellent. Not hard to do and makes up beautifylly. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%