Looking For A Recipe For Chinese Cookies

Baking By luv2bake6 Updated 17 May 2009 , 11:39pm by luv2bake6

luv2bake6 Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 11

Every time i go to the bakery to buy bread, i always end up buying one of their large bakery chinese cookies (the ones with the chocolate dropped on the middle).
I have tried many recipes but none of them even come close to what the bakeries have. They are thick, soft, large cookies.
Does anyone know what i'm talking about and have a recipe for them?Much appreciated.

10 replies
chanielisalevy Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 11

Yep - I know exactly what you're talking about! I have an excellent recipe that I bake quite often. It is EXCELLENT! I call them Chinese Marble Cookies

This recipe yields 60 3" cookies. Alter the sizes and baking time if you want the huge 5 or 6 rounds like the bakery.

The dough is 3 cups flour, 1 ½ cup crisco, 1 ½ cup sugar, 1 1/4 tsp. Baking soda. Mix well. Add 2 eggs and mix until dough is smooth.

Melt 1/4 cup chocolate chips and cut through dough by hand. Divide dough in 4. Roll each log into 2" diameter logs, roll in wax paper and chill (tip, put log into the wilton flower formers to hold their round shape!) Slice logs into approximately 16 pcs each (about 1 wide slices) and place on parchment lined cookies sheet. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes then immediately slide paper onto cooling racks to cool. After cookies cool, pipe a puddle of fudge in center and let harden. (Freezes very well)

For the fudge: melt 3 ounces chocolate chips and 1 tbsp crisco. Stir in by hand 1 tbsp confectioners sugar and stir until lumps disappear. Put into a piping bag or ziplock and squeeze out a puddle into each cooled cookie. YUM!

luv2bake6 Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 11

Oh, thank you so very much for sharing your recipe. I will definately try it tomorrow morning.
I'm assuming that cutting the dough from a cylinder as opposed to the drop method (which i've been doing) makes them thicker?
What a great idea for the flower former!!! I took a wilton class about a year ago where the formers came with the packet we had to purchase. Since i don't really make flowers, i just put the whole kit in a box in the basement. Now i'm going to dig it up to use it for this purpose!!!
Thank you so very much!!!!!!!!

Criola Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 11

chanielisalevy; THANK YOU for sharing

luv2bake6: can you come back and let me know how they turned out? I would love to try the recipe also =)

Liz

luv2bake6 Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 11

Will do. If i can get the kids to bed on time tonight, maybe i'll give it a try then. Otherwise, i'll try it tomorrow. Can't wait, but homework comes first!!

chanielisalevy Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

I'm assuming that cutting the dough from a cylinder as opposed to the drop method (which i've been doing) makes them thicker?

Yeah the drop method doesn't keep the shape uniform and also this way you control the circumference and the thickness. I made my logs 2 " for 3 inch cookies but you can make your logs moe squat, say 4 - 5 inches and 2 " thick, for example. Play round if they must be large, but mine are perfect and I just eat 3 of them! smile. Trust me, it's an excellent recipe. I like them chewy so I bake them for the time mentioned in my previous post but you can bake them for 2-3 minutes longer if you prefer crispier. Remember you will have to add baking time to compensate for the larger cookie. ENjoy!

luv2bake6 Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you for your advice!!
I was about to make the cookies today but i realized i didn't have shortening!!! Just sent hubby out to get some and hope to try them later or tomorrow morning.

vickymacd Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 11

I remember these cookies, but don't remember chocolate being in the dough. Just the glop on top.

luv2bake6 Posted 17 May 2009 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 11

Ok, so i tried them out today.
First off, chanielisalevy. thank you so much for sharing your recipe. The taste of the cookies was spot on to what i was looking for.
The texture was what i was getting from other recipes i've tried. I followed your directions (without the melted chocolate in the dough), splitting the dough into 4, rolling cylinders, chilling, and then cutting 16 pieces out of each. While baking, the cookies did not stay thick. They spread a little to make them more crunchy than the soft texture i was looking for. I even tried taking them out of the oven earlier, but the middles just sunk and the cookies were chewy rather than thick and soft.
I can't imagine it being any different if cut them bigger cuz they probably just would've spread out more and not stay the shape they are.
I'd like to work on this recipe further cuz the taste is absolutely amazing. Any advice is appreciate.
Thanks again chanielisalevy!!

vickymacd Posted 17 May 2009 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 11

luv2bake6~I have a recipe for Chinese Cookies in a rolled log in the frig right now. Too tired to bake them today, or maybe I'll get some energy while watching Desperate Housewives tonight. My log is not going to be the big 4-5" one although I could have rolled the log shorter and bigger. The dough I used tastes somewhat of a sugar cookie (yep, I eat the dough!). And this particular recipe called for rolling the log into ground walnuts, something I don't remember down memory lane. If I bake them tonight, I'll let ya know how my recipe turns out. I also want to see how the fudge glop turns out as well. I know these won't be like the ones I remember as a kid.

luv2bake6 Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:39pm
post #11 of 11

looking forward to hearing your experience.

BTW, i used a different fudge for the centers of the cookies cuz i like the ones made with corn syrup to make it fudgy and not hard. The cookies taste really good though and my kids love them but i'd still like to get them thicker and softer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%