A Typical Week This Time Of Year

Business By classiccake Updated 15 May 2009 , 3:08pm by TamathaV

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 29

I thought you might lke to see what a normal work load is for us at this time of year. Here are pictures of the baked cakes that we have to decorate by Friday evening.

We have 20 weddings this weekend, plus all the party and walk-in cakes.
LL
LL
LL

28 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 29

icon_eek.gif Wow! icon_eek.gif
That is impressive! Good for you!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 29

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Great for you!!! And think, you've got all those weddings and there are still more brides to go around (we've got three weddings this weekend).

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 29

I'm so jealous, NOT! You guys can work and I am amazed. You are also what encourages me to stay small time icon_wink.gif

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 29

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif WOW! How many decorators do you have??? I'm speechless....don't think I've ever seen that many cakes! icon_surprised.gif

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 29

And the cakes in your gallery are beautiful-my personal favorite is the black & white one. Beautiful.

classiccake Posted 13 May 2009 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimarie

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif WOW! How many decorators do you have??? I'm speechless....don't think I've ever seen that many cakes! icon_surprised.gif

I have 4 full-time and 4 part-time decorators, plus myself. I decorate some, but spend more time running the show!

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 13 May 2009 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 29

And you still have time to be on Cake Central??!!!! icon_surprised.gif

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 13 May 2009 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 29

WOW VERY IMPRESSIVE IT ALMOST OVERWELMS ME JUST TO LOOK AT THE PICTURES....LOL icon_smile.gif

kissylips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissylips Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 29

Wow. Unreal. I hope your bottom line is massive. Do you label each one somehow so as to not get flavors/fillings/orders mixed up?

classiccake Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:39pm
post #11 of 29

UPDATE:

We have closed for the day and I will show you our progress. We had 4 decorators in here working last evening, and 4 in here today. This is the progress we have made. We have a high moisture cooler for cakes not iced and a separate low moisture cooler for iced cakes.

The following are photos of both coolers.
LL
LL
LL
LL

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:44pm
post #12 of 29

wow impressive, I dont even know what to say other than you should be proud of yourself thumbs_up.gif

classiccake Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:45am
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissylips

Wow. Unreal. I hope your bottom line is massive. Do you label each one somehow so as to not get flavors/fillings/orders mixed up?

If you look at the photos, you will see labels on the cart...like on the cupcake tray and on the sides of the sheet cake pans. The sheet cakes that are labeled are for sculpted cakes, so they have not been turned out onto a board. The decorator decides what size board to use. The cakes on the shelving are all labeled on the bottom of the board or plate with the last name of the person ordering and the size and flavor/and or filling. The cakes on the carts all have tags on them with flavor, filling, and price for the walk-in business.

The non-iced cakes are placed in a certain order, all round cakes front left, all square cakes back left, and all large layers on the right.

In the finished cooler, we also have a system...all wedding cakes on the right, next to top shelf, room for a couple 5 and 6 tiers on the left, all party cakes that need a finishing touch of gumpaste on the lower right back, iced cakes ready to be decorated for the walk-in business on the bottom right, and all party orders in alphabetical order on the left back shelves. Every finished cake is boxed and there is a label on the box with name and whether the cake is paid for, or what the remaining balance is.

There is one wedding cake in the photo boxed because it is being picked up.

I have had the store for 15 years and we have a very systematic process to everything and we have good flow.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:20am
post #14 of 29

That is so awesome that you can leave your cakes in the walk in without boxing them and not get crazy amounts of condensation! I'm jealous! We use reach-ins and still have to box up each cake because of all the of condensation.

It looks like a great system you have! I hope you have a wonderful wedding season!

kissylips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissylips Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:25pm
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

I have had the store for 15 years and we have a very systematic process to everything and we have good flow.

Have you ever thought about writing a book on your processes and systems? Many of us would LOVE to learn from you rather than from our own mistakes. I know there is so much to employee relations/organization/inventory levels/managing cash flow. Like a tutorial on the business side of having a bakery.... Your 15 years of knowledge gathering is worth so much here on these boards. Thank you for all that you share! icon_biggrin.gif

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:36pm
post #16 of 29

WOW! This is impressive. You are gifted at decorating and running your cake shop. Amazing for this newbie icon_smile.gif

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:55pm
post #17 of 29

This may not be proper to ask, but I'll ask anyway! What is the average wage/salary for someone who would work with you? I've often wondered what a cake decorator would get. I know when I make a wedding cake, I make an awful lot of money. Would it be worth it to work in an established bakery?

Thank you for letting me be nosy!!

icon_rolleyes.gif

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:34pm
post #18 of 29

oh my goodnes. Lots of work but then also lots of $$$ coming in icon_smile.gif

classiccake Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammynan

This may not be proper to ask, but I'll ask anyway! What is the average wage/salary for someone who would work with you? I've often wondered what a cake decorator would get. I know when I make a wedding cake, I make an awful lot of money. Would it be worth it to work in an established bakery?

Thank you for letting me be nosy!!

icon_rolleyes.gif

No problem...$10.00 to $16.50 per hour.

The decorators walk in and walk out.....owner keeps equipment running, vans running, supplies in , help in, bills paid, business decisions, and on and on....so, do you want less hassle or more money? icon_wink.gif

TheCakeDude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeDude Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:17pm
post #20 of 29

Wow, I really AM jealous! At my bakery a busy weekend would be 5 wedding cakes and a dozen or so birthday cakes... But then again, I am the only decorator there, so that keeps me pretty busy! Not to mention Ive only done cakes for 6 months...Am I on the right track?

classiccake Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:24pm
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakeDude

Wow, I really AM jealous! At my bakery a busy weekend would be 5 wedding cakes and a dozen or so birthday cakes... But then again, I am the only decorator there, so that keeps me pretty busy! Not to mention Ive only done cakes for 6 months...Am I on the right track?

Most certainly. I remember telling a caterer how delighted I would be if I could get three weddings a weekend. We all start at the bottom and work our way up!

It take hard work, perseverance, honesty, and most importantly...quality work and SUPER customer service.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #22 of 29

Thanks for sharing classiccake. Did you start off owning a bakery right away or did you start off small decorating on your own and then expanding from there because of demand?

Would love to know how you started as one day I'd love to have a business with half your volume!

You do give us who have grander plans some hope yet!

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:35pm
post #23 of 29

Wow, I've never seen that much cake in my life!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I especially loved the pic of your finished wedding cakes. They are so beautiful and now I know why I have several of your cakes in my favorites. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us. It's why I love CC so much. icon_biggrin.gif

classiccake Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:22pm
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

Thanks for sharing classiccake. Did you start off owning a bakery right away or did you start off small decorating on your own and then expanding from there because of demand?

Would love to know how you started as one day I'd love to have a business with half your volume!

I started playing with decorating in High School.... read the Wilton instructions in the center of the yearbook. I made several wedding cakes for friends in college. Then I just did it as a hobby for friends and I taught school. Then my boys were born and I quit teaching for awhile. Eventually this grabbed me more than teaching, so I worked at two shops for 4 -5 years, then when my boys were teenagers, I opened my own. I started with just "me!"

I already had a following by that time, and I started by sharing a building with a caterer, so I did not have to invest in the large equipment at first. I saved every penny and two years later moved into my own space and paid cash for used equipment. Then six years ago, expanded into the store next door and then purchased some new and used equipment. I had shelving, storage, cabinetry built for the space. Now we are out of room again, but I am not moving and the shops on either side of me seem pretty settled in for the long haul!!

I hate to tell you this, but I have broken many business "rules." I have never had a business plan, never taken a business course, never had a business loan, and never had decorating lessons! But I do have a creative eye, commom sense, I listen, observe, and learn from others, and I have a hard work ethic. icon_wink.gif

CALI_GIRL_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CALI_GIRL_CAKES Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:38pm
post #25 of 29

Thank you so much for sharing your information. This is something for us home bakers to look up to and dream about... icon_biggrin.gif

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:55pm
post #26 of 29

I can't wait to be like you! I am just starting out, only a few months in. I worked in a bakery for 4 years, but mostly pies and other desserts, a low focus on cake. I am saving as much as possible so I can open my own bakery in a few years. I do not want a business loan either, and have no business background, per say. I do handle stress well, and am a take charge kind of woman. Great job on your success, and thank you for sharing. It's things like this that help my vision become much more clear, and stick to penny pinching with my personal money!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:58pm
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

I started playing with decorating in High School.... read the Wilton instructions in the center of the yearbook. I made several wedding cakes for friends in college. Then I just did it as a hobby for friends and I taught school. Then my boys were born and I quit teaching for awhile. Eventually this grabbed me more than teaching, so I worked at two shops for 4 -5 years, then when my boys were teenagers, I opened my own. I started with just "me!"

I already had a following by that time, and I started by sharing a building with a caterer, so I did not have to invest in the large equipment at first. I saved every penny and two years later moved into my own space and paid cash for used equipment. Then six years ago, expanded into the store next door and then purchased some new and used equipment. I had shelving, storage, cabinetry built for the space. Now we are out of room again, but I am not moving and the shops on either side of me seem pretty settled in for the long haul!!

I hate to tell you this, but I have broken many business "rules." I have never had a business plan, never taken a business course, never had a business loan, and never had decorating lessons! But I do have a creative eye, commom sense, I listen, observe, and learn from others, and I have a hard work ethic. icon_wink.gif

Wow!

Thanks for all the info and I must say, you are truly inspiring me right now! It looks like you are one smart cookie and obviously have an inate business sense. I'm gonna save this post for future reference. Thanks again!

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:07pm
post #28 of 29

You're an inspiration to us all icon_biggrin.gif

TamathaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamathaV Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #29 of 29

Classicake! I want to be you when I grow upicon_smile.gif Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%