Help! Baker Bailed Need Advice! Long Sorry

Decorating By huntforjulia Updated 14 May 2009 , 1:38pm by tiggy2

huntforjulia Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 10

My daughter is getting married June 6 2009. Now it looks like I will have to make the cake. June 6th seems to be a popular date in this area, walmart supercenter bakery is available but is a 45minute drive. I Have some experience, took the wilton class, made cakes for the catering company I used to work for, done some wedding cakes for family/friends, never a stacked cake. My daughters cake is supposed to be a 4 tier topsy turvy cake. I am worried about the whole thing falling over. I have searched all over and found to tilt the cake use, frosting styrofoam and the directions on here. to save time I thought about buying the cakes at walmart already covered and then just stacking and decorating myself. Would this work? Another complication is I would also have to pick them up thursday before the saturday wedding. Would an sps system help? My daughter is looking for other cakes but had set her heart on this is and is frustated so not really into looking for another cake. the wedding is nice and normal the reception is mardi gras theme. I will take ANY and ALL ideas.

9 replies
tiggy2 Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 10

If you've never done a topsy turvy I'd do a practice one now. There are tutorials if you do a web search. tonedna on this site has made some beautiful ones and is always willing to answer questions. She may have a tutorial on youtube. Send her a pm via this site. Go to member list at the top of this page then search for tonedna. Once you find her you'll have the option of sneding her a private message. Hope that helps.

Ruth0209 Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 10

If you have to make the cakes and don't want to stack, I recommend that you buy three beautiful cake plates of varying heights, maybe all the same color, and make and decorate three large cakes. Then set them up in a row on the cake table. If you add some flowers or other decorations on the tables at the bases, it can look gorgeous.

I saw this look in a bride's magazine and it was stunning. It'd solve your worries about stacking, it'd be easier to transport, and it'd be very chic.

I'll go in search of that picture and post it if I can find it. Good luck!

-K8memphis Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 10

What part of Arkansas??

bakingatthebeach Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 10

Go to the article section, there is a Whimsical Tilted Cake tutorial.

Caralinc Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 10

tiggy2 Thanks so much for posting the youtube!! It really helped explain the process. Awhile ago I read the tutorial we have on this site but the visual really helped. I can't wait to try one now. Thanks again. Can I leave work to go make a topsy turvy cake??? Please. lol.

idjitmom Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 10

Unless you have time to do a practice TT cake & are comfortable with it when you do it, I would tell her she needs to fall in love with a different design lol. The idea about the wal-mart cakes - you can't take already decorated cakes & turn them into a TT. Plus they will taste awful! (Just cause they all do at Walmart lol.) And - though I'm not 100% on this, so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong - because of the way you have to cut/stack a TT cake, you can't use SPS.

bakingatthebeach Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 10

Actually, you can use the sps on the topsy turvy cake. its a visual illusion, the bottom tier is still straight on a level board so the topsy turvy thing works with it. Good Luck!

tiggy2 Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:38pm
post #10 of 10

You can deffinately use the sps on a TT cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%