What Recipe For Mmf?

Decorating By wverbest Updated 13 May 2009 , 6:31pm by gloria

wverbest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wverbest Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 6

With so many recipes for MMF how do I choose? Which on do you find to work best. I will be doing cut outs on Buttercream and some figures. This will be the first time i am making MMF myself. Help!

5 replies
L_Collins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L_Collins Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 6

Here is the recipe I use. It's so easy and I love it! Hope it works for you!

MM (Marshmallow) Fondant Recipe

16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (use a good quality brand)

2 to 5 tablespoons water

2 pounds icing sugar (please use C&H Cane Powdered Sugar for the best results)

1/2 cup Crisco shortening (you will be digging into it so place in a very easily accessed bowl)

NOTE: Please be careful, this first stage can get hot.

Melt marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave or double boiler: Put the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, open microwave and stir, back in microwave for 30 seconds more, open microwave and stir again, and continue doing this until melted. It usually takes about 2 1/2 minutes total. Place 3/4 of the powdered sugar on the top of the melted marshmallow mix.

Now grease your hands GENEROUSLY (palms, backs, and in between fingers), then heavily grease the counter you will be using and dump the bowl of marshmallow/sugar mixture in the middle. (By the way, this recipe is also good for your hands. When Im done, they are baby soft.)

Start kneading like you would bread dough. You will immediately see why you have greased your hands. If you have children in the room they will either laugh at you or look at you with a questioning expression. You might even hear a muttered, What are you doing?

Keep kneading, this stuff is sticky at this stage! Add the rest of the powdered sugar and knead some more. Re-grease your hands and counter when the fondant starts sticking. If the mix is tearing easily, it is to dry, so add water (about 1/2 tablespoon at a time and then knead it in). It usually takes me about 8 minutes to get a firm smooth elastic ball so that it will stretch without tearing when you apply it to the cake.

It is best if you can let it sit, double wrapped, overnight (but you can use it right away if there are no tiny bits of dry powdered sugar). If you do see them, you will need to knead and maybe add a few more drops of water.

Prepare the fondant for storing by coating it with a good layer of Crisco shortening, wrap in a plastic-type wrap product and then put it in a re-sealable or Ziploc bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible.

MM Fondant will hold very well in the refrigerator for weeks. If I know that I have a cake to decorate, I usually make two (2) batches on a free night during the week so it is ready when I need it. Take advantage of the fact that this fondant can be prepared well in advance.

I got this from a wonderful website, http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/PeggyBakingCorner.htm

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 6

This is the recipe that I use: http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

I know there are other recipes out there but the only time I tried a different one, it didn't work. This one is so simple and the results are so consistent that I just stick with it. Most of the time I add about 1 dram of Lorann flavoring to it.

If you ever need chocolate MMF, you can replace 1 cup of the powdered sugar with 3/4 cup cocoa powder. This one http://www.surlatable.com/product/id/185899.do makes MMF that tastes exactly like tootsie rolls.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 6

That is also the recipe I use. I have found it to be the easiest and since there are really only 2 ingredients it's hard for me to mess up! lol

Another quick tip:

You can also use the dough hook on your mixer to do most of the work for you. You will have to finish it by hand but it makes it much easier.

Good luck!

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 6

I use this recipe also and it turns out wonderful. In the first few minutes it seems a little hopeless, but keep mixing and kneading, it's worth it!

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 6

I use this recipe too.

I do add a little lemon juice to it in place of the water. It takes all the sickly sweet out of it.

I've noticed people are still removing the fondant - but then they start eating it separately like a candy! Much less fondant left on plates than before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%