Question Re. Customer Transport

Business By Kitagrl Updated 14 May 2009 , 4:46pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 8

I have a customer I'm working with and its at the edge of my comfort zone, but there's no reason to refuse the order so I have a question...

She was trying to work through a previous customer of mine, but the communication kept getting skewed I guess, so last week she finally contacted me personally. She needed the cake for next weekend. She wants a four tiered petal cake (which I had to like pronto order those pans) which will be picked up and taken to New York.

She is coming by today to pay the entire amount in cash and finalize the details (because she had like five different cake photos and she wanted something incorporated from each photo). Its a baby's first birthday cake.

I did tell her over the phone that whoever is picking it up (it won't even be her, it will be her brother) will have to have an SUV or something with a flat surface and will have to sign to taking over responsibility of safe transport. She said he has like an Infiniti Truck or something like that so hopefully he will have a nice place for transport.

In this case...should I actually type up a whole document for him to sign saying I'm absolutely not liable for anything after he takes the cake? I have a clause like that in my regular cake contracts but since this ended up being sort of last minute, I don't have time to work up a contract and have her sign, and plus my contracts usually deal with deliveries anyway because people pick up whatever party cakes they order...just like this one...although this one happens to be a four tiered one.

Oh I should probably tell her to make sure its transported climate controlled as that its summer...hmmm. my question is...type up a document to sign?

7 replies
Kitagrl Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 8

How is this?

I, the undersigned, have decided to transport my cake in my own vehicle. I understand that once the cake has been passed into my possession, Cakes by Suzy is no longer responsible for any mishaps or damage that may occur to the cake.

I have been informed that the cake should travel on a perfectly flat surface, secured so that it will not slide, and in a cool, climate-controlled environment (the colder the vehicle, the firmer and more solid the cake will remain during transport). While "BUSINESS NAME HERE" has made every effort to support and secure the cake so that it arrives at its destination in perfect condition, I realize that long distances, bumpy roads, or certain driving maneuvers may cause some instability in the cake.

I have agreed to transport my cake, taking all responsibility for its arrival in perfect condition upon myself. I am signing to agree to this as well as agreeing that the cake passed into my hands in perfect condition from Cakes by Suzy.

Signed: ___________________________________________

Date: ______________________________

Kimmers971 Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 8

Most definately have him sign off that he is responsible for the cake once it leaves your premises. Have her sign that part on the contract when she comes to pay too.

Good Luck!

Auryn Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 8

I think when she shows up to give you cash you need to have her sign a contract.
Sometimes these last minute rush jobs are the ones that give you the most problems afterwards. Especially when she has so many different details that she wants incorporated.

I say its worth the 10 minutes it will take you to write up the contract to save yourself some headaches.
Also make her sign the approved sketch/details.

ccr03 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 8

Doug made up a GREAT delivery waiver. It's in this post.

I like his better - it's a little more comprehensive.

Whichever you choose, just make sure that you have them sign something.

LaBellaFlor Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 8

I think that sounds pretty good.

1234me Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 8

I agree with one of the above posters - have him sign something when he picks it up and her sign something when she makes the deposit. Then she can't say you didn't WARN her!

Kitagrl Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 8

She did change to a smaller, 3 tiered cake and I still gave the should be alot easier to transport though this way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%