Help How Do I Color Large Quantities Of Fondant?

Decorating By Harabekah Updated 13 May 2009 , 6:34pm by BCo

Harabekah Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone,
I need major help with a wedding cake i am to make in 3 wks. i need to color a lot of fondant for this cake, which normally wouldn't be a problem except the color the bride wants is a unique green to match her colors. I have mixed 3 colors together to get the color, but i use gels so it's hard to measure out exactly the right amount and since I can only make a couple batches at a time, how in the world do you do it? If you have any special tips, please fill me in. icon_smile.gif Thank you for your time!
Rebekah

9 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 10

Here's what I do -

Find a color chart and a color wheel online. Those will give you basics on coloring fondant and mixing colors.

I use Americolor when mixing a custom color. I count and record the number of drops used from each color. That way, if I have to make additional batches, I can make the exact same color, because the amount of each color used is the same.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

umgrzfn Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 10

Depends on what color you are trying to make. If it's black...good luck! That is the worst (for me anyway), and it tends to bleed all over cause of using so much color. But the last time I did it, I started with chocolate candy clay and added it to the fondant, then added black coloring. Seemed to work better, I still needed A LOT of black! It will usually work best if you start with a smaller piece, color it brighter/darker then you want and then add in more fondant and go from there. Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

umgrzfn Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 10

Sorry, I didn't read your question right!! icon_eek.gif Unique green....wow....that's a tuffy. I agree with the previous comment, use a color wheel, get the basic and then add from there. Unfortunately, trial and error is how I've come up with some great colors! Sorry I can't be much help! icon_confused.gif

BCo Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 10

Figure out how much fondant you will need in total. Split it into a few smaller managable pieces. Color each piece as close to the color you need as possible (again, it may be helpful to count drops or toothpick swipes to try to maintain the same amount of color for each piece) then once they are all colored you combine them all together into one large piece and kneed until they are all mixed into one.

Hope that makes sense.

Harabekah Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 10

What is americolor and where can i find it? does it have to be specially ordered online?

Thanks for all your comments, i am seeing a whole new light! :0

cherrycakes Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 10

I haven't tried this but maybe it would work. Add up all of the fondant that you require for the cake. Then take a workable amount (weigh it) and make it several shades darker than what you need. Divide that up and add it to the larger pieces of fondant that have been equally divided. For example, divide the dark green into three pieces and then divide the larger amount of fondant into three and mix it in. Hope that makes sense!

cherrycakes Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 10

Bturpin: That's too funny! I was composing my response and posted it before I saw yours! I'm happy to know that I wasn't off base with my suggestion!!

terrig007 Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harabekah

What is americolor and where can i find it? does it have to be specially ordered online?

Thanks for all your comments, i am seeing a whole new light! :0

Hi,
You can get it at Global Sugar Art!
HTH
terri

BCo Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Bturpin: That's too funny! I was composing my response and posted it before I saw yours! I'm happy to know that I wasn't off base with my suggestion!!

Great Minds!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%