Transporting Cake

Decorating By HoHo5 Updated 14 May 2009 , 1:18pm by newnancy

HoHo5 Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:30am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,
I could use some advise.
I am making my step dads 75 birthday cake.
We live about 6-7 hours away.
I am traveling with my dog and 3 kids.
I was planning on making all three tiers here at home.
( then assembling it on site)
What is the best way to get them there.
I was thinking of putting each one in a plastic container.
Would you do fondant or butter cream?
I'm not sure how the plastic container will effect fondant.
ANY suggestions for getting this there in one piece is much appreciated.
I really want to surprise him.
He was a florist and I have spend weeks making gum paste poppies for the cake!
Thanks for any and all input!!!!

6 replies
Evoir Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:39am
post #2 of 7

I'd do fondant, because that long a drive with your passengers will no doubt involve stops and the possibility of your cake getting too hot and buttercream melting!

Can you use cake boxes instead?

I haven't had issues with findant in sealed containers, if its dry. If you are worried though about the sealed pastic container, you can add in a couple sachets of silica gel to absorb excess moisture.

newnancy Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:44am
post #3 of 7

I just transported a 5 tier wedding cake fully assembled using the SPS system (thanks leahs). It was wonderful, not even 1 problem. You could use the SPS & maybe put it in a tall cardboard box & it would keep the kids & dog away. Good Luck!

HoHo5 Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 7

okay maybe its lack of coffee, but what is the sps system???

newnancy Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:43pm
post #5 of 7

Look under forums in the "How do I" section & there is a sticky at the top of the page that will explain everything & how to use it. It works wonderfully & is much safer than wooden dowels to transport a cake.

Rhonda19 Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 7

I wanted to see how the SPS system works as well. I clicked on the Sticky, to see how the SPS system works....and it will not download.

It says, " Page not available "... Is it because they are working on this website?

newnancy Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 7

Hope this helps until you can pull it up on the sticky. I had this saved but the pictures didn't come thru, I don't know why. It shows lots of pictures of white plastic plates & column legs & how to do each step. Not very complicated at all.
How to use SPS
SPS offers several different heights of legs. I use the GC-4s which is four inches tall. I bake my cake so that
I can torte them (with my Agbay) to 7/8" tall, and with filling (4 layers cake + filling) all my tiers are 4" tall.
That way I don't have to cut the legs. It is possible to cut the legs, but it's best to keep it simple and bake to
To make this easy to visualize, let's pretend you're doing a 6/8/10 cake. Prepare your 10 cake on its base
board as always. Take the 8 inch plate that has a little peg in the center of it and use the peg to poke a hole
in an 8" cardboard.
Use a skewer to slightly enlarge the hole in the cardboard.
Place the 8" cake on the cardboard with the hole and prepare/decorate as usual.
Use the 6" plate to punch a hole in a 6" cardboard and enlarge the hole slightly. Put the 6" cake on the 6"
cardboard and prepare/decorate as usual.
The cakes in the picture are sitting on a larger cardboard just to make them easier to move around. (The 6
cake is sitting on a 6 cardboard with a hole in it. And that is sitting on an 8 cardboard just to make it easier
to move around. Likewise the 8 cake is sitting on an 8 cardboard with a hole in it and that is sitting on a
10 cardboard.)
I always remove the collars from the underside of the plate and throw them away. If you are doing a cake
with separations, leave them on for a nicer look.
Use the 8 plate to mark the top of the 10" cake for placement (centered) just like any other system.
Next, jam the legs into the plate. They fit really tight.
Now, push the 8 plate and leg assembly into the 10" cake.
Push the plate and leg assembly into the 8 cake.
Now for assembly.
You should be looking at two cakes that have plates on their tops. Place a smear of buttercream on the 8
Pick up the 8" cake (discard the 10 cardboard that it was sitting on) with your hand or spatula, whichever is
more comfortable for you. Place the far side of the cake board anywhere past the peg on the "receiving" 8"
plate (which is sitting on the 10" cake.) Sliiiiiiide it into place, which means get the hole in the cardboard onto
the peg. You'll hear a satisfying little whoosh.
Repeat with the 6" cake
Cautions: Always poke a hole in the cardboards first. You'll only forget that step once.
If you have put your plate and leg assemblies in centered, then you cake will be centered.
Always push the plate and leg assemblies into the cake before you stack them. The pushing can sometimes
cause a blowout when the cake is already partially stacked.
You can carry a stacked cake easily, assuming that you can lift it. I have carried a four tier completely
stacked. Went in the back of my SUV, through the back hall at the venue, up the freight elevator and down
the hall and into the room. No problem, although we were really ready to put it down. I do usually leave off
the top tier, just so that I can check the levelness of the cake before putting the top tier on onsite. Since
there is a plastic plate on the top of the cake, I actually set my little level from the hardware store right on
that and make any adjustments needed.
It's better to bake to the height of the legs. The legs aren't the easiest to cut (because they're sturdy) but you
can cut them with a saw. A band saw or chop saws work best. Really, just make the cake 4" tall.
To make a cake with separations, just use taller legs. The legs come in 9" lengths and a multi-piece leg that
can be 5", 7" or 9" depending on the number of extensions you use. You push the legs down thru the cake,
creating air space/separation between the tiers. No plate will be sitting on top of the cake.
This system was developed for bakeries that don't offer delivery. It's made for consumers with no experience
moving cakes, so you guys should be fine!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%