Covering A Number 1 Cake

Decorating By Zizi161 Updated 14 May 2009 , 12:00pm by bashini

Zizi161 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zizi161 Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:38am
post #1 of 3

can anyone give any tips on how to cover a number 1 cake successfully - I've been asked to do one and the tin looks small and fiddly - if anyone has experience at this perhaps you have a few good ides or dos and don'ts for me
Thz

2 replies
inspireddecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspireddecorator Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:06am
post #2 of 3

I would create a template out of paper first. Then cut (carve) it out of a 11x15 cake. Not sure how you plan on covering it, but if you cover in buttercream only, I would crumbcoat it and then pipe on the sides and have the top smooth. But of course covering in fondant would be just as easy.

Hope this helps. I carve cakes as I don't own any shaped pans.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 3

Hi there, I haven't used a No1 tin to make the No1 cakes that I have done before. I bakes a rectangular cake - 12"x9" and then cut it in half lengwise and kept the two peices on a board in the shape of the number one.

To cover the cake, I use quite a big amount of fondant and roll it out. Then put it on the cake, So you have lot of fondant to go inside the curves. Once you get the shape done, cut the excess off.

There is another way to do it. That is to measure around the cake, and the hight of the cake. Then cut a strip of fondant to that measurements and stick that aound the cake first. Then roll out another piece of fondant and put it on the top of the cake and cut the edges off. You can dp a piping to cover the seams.

Hope all these makesence.

icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%