Gum Paste Issues - Help

Decorating By Dessert_Diva Updated 14 May 2009 , 12:46am by Dessert_Diva

Dessert_Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dessert_Diva Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:21am
post #1 of 4

I'm making a graduation cake for a friend who loves vampires and just received her doctorate. The cake will be in the shape of a coffin with fondant covered styrofoam lid opening up with the vampire's hands coming out, one clutching "the edge" of the coffin and the other holding the diploma. I made one of the hands out of gum paste last night but as it is drying it is looking more like something from "The Mummy" it's cracking so bad. What did I do wrong? Should I try modeling chocolate instead? Maybe dip the gum paste hand in melted chocolate to get the smooth look? It's due Saturday. Any help would be appreciated. I have to go to work so I can't respond back until later but I thank you in advance!!

3 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:47am
post #2 of 4

The only time I have had GP crack upon drying has been when I have rolled and re-rolled my GP too much, adding corn starch each time (usually when making heaps of leaves etc). Could your GP have been too dry?

If you try moulding again, use shortening instead of cornflour to prevent stick.

Re: dipping in chocolate, I have never done that, so I hope someone pops by and helps you out!

Good luck icon_smile.gif

PS - Cool idea for a cake!

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 4

Try using a 50/50 gumpaste fondant mix. That gives you more time to work w/ it (because it doesn't dry out so quickly), and for me at least, it gives the final product a suble more 'flowy', smoother look.

Dessert_Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dessert_Diva Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:46am
post #4 of 4

thanks all. I was using Wilton gumpaste and it must be too old. Appreciate it...also saw thread on using marzipan....guess almond paste would do as well. Hope it all dries by Saturday morning. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%